B.S. in Finance with Real Estate concentration

5 Replies

Hello everyone,

I hope this is the correct thread for this question. I am currently in the military and will be getting out within the next year to attend college. I have been learning as much as I can about real estate investing from forums, books, podcasts, etc. As much as I enjoy learning about real estate, it has me interested in earning a B.S. degree in Finance with a Real Estate concentration. My question is this: which real estate careers are available ONLY to people with a degree focused on real estate? Thanks in advance for any and all replies and information.

@David King hello David! What's behind your question about careers open only to people with a finance degree focused on RE? Are you looking for a career with limited competition? I am wary of this approach - it's a bit like buying a taxi medallion - not bad if that's the basket you're happy putting you're eggs in - and as long as Uber doesn't come along. I suggest you think instead about what careers that you'd like that you can pursue with a degree in finance (a lot, I have a degree in finance and ended up working in railroad operations) - real estate investment is definitely one of them. I am not answering your question, but hope this helps.

@Peter Roehrich thanks for the reply! I know it was kind of a broad, strange question. I guess a better way of wording my question would be to ask what the benefits are of getting a degree in real estate. Maybe which careers in real estate are typically held by people with a degree rather than those that do not have a degree?

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now

@David King ah, I understand now. What immediately comes to mind is financial services - not retail banking but developing and managing real estate related investment instruments (think ETFs).

I think you'll be well served with a business degree with finance major (or concentration, if you go to a school where business would be the major). I suggest this over pure finance (something very heavy in econ, statistics, and calc) because that's the curriculum I studied and have found the non finance (marketing, business law, management science, accounting) material very useful. In addition to the practicality if having the broad knowledge to rely on, a diversity of courses will appeal to hiring managers who will, unless you're going into academia or financial services like I mentioned above, value that.