Is Dallas Fort Worth overheated?

Is Dallas Fort Worth overheated?

Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 9 votes

Hey Bigger Pockets gang, 

I'm looking to start long distance investing in Forth Worth TX with the ultimate goal of BRRRing to build cash flow and equity and need your help! 

Currently I don't have much but I think I can make it work - I got 7k in the bank, an 800 credit score, and I've binged about 6-8 audiobooks. 

I also run a small business for some local entrepreneurs and understand how to manage people. I take photographs professionally and understand digital marketing as well.


My wife, baby, and I live in San Diego where I was raised although my wife is originally from Texas - Fort Worth to be exact. She's a true Texan at heart and we get to visit often. After many visits I couldn't help but love the place as she does and also feel like there might be some opportunity there. We did find a place for 350k in San Diego once - come to find out it was half burned down, literally!

Forth Worth seems to be a great place to start a business and I've noticed a lot of entrepreneurial energy is there. New coffee shops, retails, businesses big and small. Lots of blue collar work and hard working, real people which I appreciate. I'm from eastern San Diego and it actually reminds me a lot of home. Prices have risen I know but they're still dirty cheap compared out here. 

Is there still opportunity in Fort Worth? Is this a market that any one has seen success in? What are some specific neighborhoods? Is Meadowbrook an area I should pay attention to? I'm looking for strong opinions and to start making connections there. 

Appreciate you folks.

Best, 

Ryan 

0Reply
119 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · McKinney, TX. · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 2 votes
7y

McKinney, and our 380 strip west of McKinney is one of the fastest growing areas around. Expect to clear 4-6% ROI on cash buy and holds but you can expect your appreciation levels to be 2-3 percent over the next 5 years easily and Rental rates are increasing at similar levels. The long term hold will be your best investment in this northern area. Same goes for Frisco, Prosper, Celina and some areas of Little Elm. Flips are challenging to locate unless you're touring south and east Plano or Carrollton areas and buyers for flips are becoming more and more picky on the quality of the renovation. All and all still amazing opportunities to get into these markets.

-Cody

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brian SimpsonPro Member
    Grandview, TX · Member since 2017 · 143 posts · 79 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Knapp The DFW area is set to gain a new center and a new water source in the next few years in addition to many companies moving to the area. Consider these factors in your investments and you'll do fine. San Antonio has several military bases around it and is a destination for short terms. Austin is a hot market as well but the limited water sources and adverse political environment requires you to pay very close attention to many limiting factors. Houston has the greatest potential for gains but you'll need to get on site to understand the neighborhoods and the swings in property values.

    The middle markets are best right now, Waco, McAllen, El Paso, etc. Bottom line if your going to do it long distance you need a good finger on the pulse of your market and niche. I see opportunities everywhere for the right in and the right out. I try not to tie up to much of my investments in any one and I refuse to get over 65% leveraged for more than 3 months.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Anil Rathi can you start our by househacking?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 578 votes
    7y

    Overheated..... yeah. Absolutely. But so is most of the country at the moment.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.