Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Tessier
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fairfield, CT
Votes |
What’s the best next step for a young investor?

Ryan Tessier
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fairfield, CT
Posted Sep 19 2019, 15:47

I’m 22 years old, I’ve been working as an electrician for the past 4 years. I’ve been managing my own 3 family rental property for the last 2 years. I’m sick of working my day job and I’m dead set on working for myself in real estate in the future. The equity in my house is about 10% without accounting for appreciation, I have $25k saved up and ready to invest, and I live at home with my parents. So I can afford to take a lot of risks based on my current position. I’d be willing to quit right now and work 80 hours a week for myself building a future business than to waste my time making peanuts while my bosses gets all the money. The problem is out of all my friends, family and coworkers I don’t know anyone who’s particularly entrepreneurially minded. My circles are small, I’m not on social media, and I’m not particularly sociable as a person so finding helpful connections is difficult. 

I suppose my question here is what can I do to make the jump into financial independence? What skills should I be learning? I’m willing to make a career shift as I don’t have much interest in being a contractor, some DIY skills are nice but I don’t see a great future in this industry and I’m not sure what I would excel at. Are there any investments I can be making now with the funds I have? Knowing the right people I feel would be beneficial to me here. But going up to an experienced investor (if I knew one)and asking to be mentored seems ham handed at best. So what can I do to make myself marketable to an entrepreneur so that we can both benefit?

I’ve been looking into another rental but the 20% down is high(property values are high where I am) and it’s a long term investment. I’m interested in flipping houses and I’m willing to jump in head first but I don’t know where to start. All in all I’m feeling lost and very unhappy where I’m at now and I’m wondering if any of you can see something that I’m missing. 

Loading replies...