Can a RE agent join MLS without joining boards or NAR

8 Replies

@Kevin Carter

The local MLS is the board of Realtors. Can't do one without the other in most cases. There are some areas of the country that don't have an MLS so not everyone joins a board. And, you can't join the board without hanging your license first. The broker is responsible for making sure the dues are paid.

In locations where you can join the MLS without joining the board, the pricr is usually increased, and not surprisingly the increase cost is roughly the cost of joining the board.

Thanks for the info, and I would think a prospective seller would likely hesitate to use a listing agent that is unable to list their house on the MLS.

I read that some virtual brokerages will allow you to join them without being a Realtor and list properties on MLS through them. I would appreciate your thoughts on that possibility.

Thanks again

Being an agent requires overhead. MLS dues and Board dues are just 2 of many many costs involved in maintaining a license. If you want to be an agent, you got to suck it up and pay what it costs. Its thousands of dollars a year to maintain a license. Just the way it is.

You need to check with the MLS service you are interested in, in central Florida the Broker has to join the MLS before their agents can.

You can, however, ask a Realtor to just list your property in the MLS for a flat fee and do nothing else, meaning you answer any and all enquiries, show the property, do your own negotiations and make arrangements for the closing with either a title company or a real estate lawyer.

So basically it’s a monopoly. We have all the tools and all the power. Pay us or get out of the business. Isn’t it bad enough that the State makes us upkeep and maintain our licenses. Now we have to pay some PRIVATE organization to be able to do our jobs. It’s not even like they filter bad agents out or it would be worth it. Plenty of bad ones still around just paying their dues. 

Originally posted by @Miguel Ángel :

So basically it’s a monopoly. We have all the tools and all the power. Pay us or get out of the business. Isn’t it bad enough that the State makes us upkeep and maintain our licenses. Now we have to pay some PRIVATE organization to be able to do our jobs. It’s not even like they filter bad agents out or it would be worth it. Plenty of bad ones still around just paying their dues. 

You dont have to join. But if you want access to the benefits that people like me have contributed to, and collectively spent decades and god knows how many millions of dollars building, why would you think you should get access to those items for free? 

Go build your own MLS alternative. Go build your own lobbying organization. Go spend millions building your own software. Go hire lawyers to write your own contracts.

Well. Thankfully in the state I reside I don’t have to create my own. I can go through my Thompson broker instead. I just hope more cases like that happen nationally to give more states options. And what you stated aren’t options, they are suicide attempts. I think an agent should be able to show a client a home (the most basics of actions) without having to join a monopoly.