Can a RE agent join MLS without joining boards or NAR

Can a RE agent join MLS without joining boards or NAR

Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes

In Florida, can a newly licensed RE agent (not a Realtor and not yet working for a broker) join MLS independently or do they have to join a local board or the NAR first?

Thank You

0Reply
98 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 7 votes
5y

So basically it’s a monopoly. We have all the tools and all the power. Pay us or get out of the business. Isn’t it bad enough that the State makes us upkeep and maintain our licenses. Now we have to pay some PRIVATE organization to be able to do our jobs. It’s not even like they filter bad agents out or it would be worth it. Plenty of bad ones still around just paying their dues. 

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Kevin Carter

    The local MLS is the board of Realtors. Can't do one without the other in most cases. There are some areas of the country that don't have an MLS so not everyone joins a board. And, you can't join the board without hanging your license first. The broker is responsible for making sure the dues are paid.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    In locations where you can join the MLS without joining the board, the pricr is usually increased, and not surprisingly the increase cost is roughly the cost of joining the board.

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the info, and I would think a prospective seller would likely hesitate to use a listing agent that is unable to list their house on the MLS.

    I read that some virtual brokerages will allow you to join them without being a Realtor and list properties on MLS through them. I would appreciate your thoughts on that possibility.

    Thanks again

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    Being an agent requires overhead. MLS dues and Board dues are just 2 of many many costs involved in maintaining a license. If you want to be an agent, you got to suck it up and pay what it costs. Its thousands of dollars a year to maintain a license. Just the way it is.

  • Investor · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    6y

    You need to check with the MLS service you are interested in, in central Florida the Broker has to join the MLS before their agents can.

    You can, however, ask a Realtor to just list your property in the MLS for a flat fee and do nothing else, meaning you answer any and all enquiries, show the property, do your own negotiations and make arrangements for the closing with either a title company or a real estate lawyer.

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    So basically it’s a monopoly. We have all the tools and all the power. Pay us or get out of the business. Isn’t it bad enough that the State makes us upkeep and maintain our licenses. Now we have to pay some PRIVATE organization to be able to do our jobs. It’s not even like they filter bad agents out or it would be worth it. Plenty of bad ones still around just paying their dues. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Miguel Ángel:

    So basically it’s a monopoly. We have all the tools and all the power. Pay us or get out of the business. Isn’t it bad enough that the State makes us upkeep and maintain our licenses. Now we have to pay some PRIVATE organization to be able to do our jobs. It’s not even like they filter bad agents out or it would be worth it. Plenty of bad ones still around just paying their dues. 

     You dont have to join. But if you want access to the benefits that people like me have contributed to, and collectively spent decades and god knows how many millions of dollars building, why would you think you should get access to those items for free? 

    Go build your own MLS alternative. Go build your own lobbying organization. Go spend millions building your own software. Go hire lawyers to write your own contracts.

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Well. Thankfully in the state I reside I don’t have to create my own. I can go through my Thompson broker instead. I just hope more cases like that happen nationally to give more states options. And what you stated aren’t options, they are suicide attempts. I think an agent should be able to show a client a home (the most basics of actions) without having to join a monopoly. 

  • Real Estate Broker · FL · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Kevin Carter:

    In Florida, can a newly licensed RE agent (not a Realtor and not yet working for a broker) join MLS independently or do they have to join a local board or the NAR first?

    Thank You


    You should look up Non-member access to the MLS in some southern states. This relates to a class action lawsuit in Georgia in 1991. One agent, Fletcher Thompson refused to join the association based on their prior racist policy of not accepting anyone of color during the 1960's

    Case notes are here:- https://www.nar.realtor/legal/...

    Look up Thompson Brokers in Florida where you can access the MLS without paying fees to any association. You can activate your license for free-forever and just pay for the MLS (even that is optional). Commissions are the generous and similar to other agencies.

  • Real Estate Broker · FL · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Gregory Owen:
    Quote from @Kevin Carter:

    In Florida, can a newly licensed RE agent (not a Realtor and not yet working for a broker) join MLS independently or do they have to join a local board or the NAR first?

    Thank You


    You should look up Non-member access to the MLS in some southern states. This relates to a class action lawsuit in Georgia in 1991. One agent, Fletcher Thompson refused to join the association based on their prior racist policy of not accepting anyone of color during the 1960's

    Case notes are here:- https://www.nar.realtor/legal/...

    Look up Thompson Brokers in Florida where you can access the MLS without paying fees to any association. You can activate your license for free-forever and just pay for the MLS (even that is optional). Commissions are the generous and similar to other agencies.


    There's more. An alternate MLS that offers a 'No-Contract' monthly fee service is now available. Furthermore, it covers not just a small portion of the State of Florida but the whole State for around $45 per month. It syndicates to all the same sites such as Zillow, Trulia, Homes.com and even Realtor.com.

    You can list any property in Florida not just those in the MLS district you subscribe to. Learn more here My State MLS

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    2y

    I had a brokerage drop me , because I didn't pay for nar, which is ridiculous, I signed up for My state MLS but now my license is inactive because I am dropped by the brokerage, how would one take care of this issue? aren't all brokerages have to be part of NAR?

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Paul Johnson:

    I had a brokerage drop me , because I didn't pay for nar, which is ridiculous, I signed up for My state MLS but now my license is inactive because I am dropped by the brokerage, how would one take care of this issue? aren't all brokerages have to be part of NAR?


    Only about 60-70% of licensees are members of NAR. If you don't want to pay for NAR, you'll need to join a brokerage that is not a member. Most of the major residential brokerages are members. Of the top 100 or so largest brokerages in the country, just 1 that I know of is not a member.

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:
    Quote from @Paul Johnson:

    I had a brokerage drop me , because I didn't pay for nar, which is ridiculous, I signed up for My state MLS but now my license is inactive because I am dropped by the brokerage, how would one take care of this issue? aren't all brokerages have to be part of NAR?


    Only about 60-70% of licensees are members of NAR. If you don't want to pay for NAR, you'll need to join a brokerage that is not a member. Most of the major residential brokerages are members. Of the top 100 or so largest brokerages in the country, just 1 that I know of is not a member.


    How would one find which brokers which are not part of NAR?
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Paul Johnson:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:
    Quote from @Paul Johnson:

    I had a brokerage drop me , because I didn't pay for nar, which is ridiculous, I signed up for My state MLS but now my license is inactive because I am dropped by the brokerage, how would one take care of this issue? aren't all brokerages have to be part of NAR?


    Only about 60-70% of licensees are members of NAR. If you don't want to pay for NAR, you'll need to join a brokerage that is not a member. Most of the major residential brokerages are members. Of the top 100 or so largest brokerages in the country, just 1 that I know of is not a member.


    How would one find which brokers which are not part of NAR?

     Start cold calling brokerages

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:
    Quote from @Paul Johnson:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:
    Quote from @Paul Johnson:

    I had a brokerage drop me , because I didn't pay for nar, which is ridiculous, I signed up for My state MLS but now my license is inactive because I am dropped by the brokerage, how would one take care of this issue? aren't all brokerages have to be part of NAR?


    Only about 60-70% of licensees are members of NAR. If you don't want to pay for NAR, you'll need to join a brokerage that is not a member. Most of the major residential brokerages are members. Of the top 100 or so largest brokerages in the country, just 1 that I know of is not a member.


    How would one find which brokers which are not part of NAR?

     Start cold calling brokerages


    I see, I guess that's the only way.
  • Real Estate Broker · FL · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Paul Johnson:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:
    Quote from @Paul Johnson:

    I had a brokerage drop me , because I didn't pay for nar, which is ridiculous, I signed up for My state MLS but now my license is inactive because I am dropped by the brokerage, how would one take care of this issue? aren't all brokerages have to be part of NAR?


    Only about 60-70% of licensees are members of NAR. If you don't want to pay for NAR, you'll need to join a brokerage that is not a member. Most of the major residential brokerages are members. Of the top 100 or so largest brokerages in the country, just 1 that I know of is not a member.


    How would one find which brokers which are not part of NAR?

  • Real Estate Broker · FL · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    In Florida, Georgia and Alabama there is an option to just pay for the MLS.

    This is because the Realtor association lost the landmark case in 1991 brought against them by Fletcher Thompson. He sued them because they previously denied black agents to join due to their racists policies in the 1960’s specifically, “we don’t accept black members”. Case notes are available online. 

    Consequently, you can now just pay for the MLS without any association membership by finding a Thompson broker

    Use Google to seek these & other ‘MLS only brokers' in your state.

  • Ocoee, FL · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Yes you can but you either need to be your own broker or join a brokerage that isn't a board member. Then you can get a Thompson membership which doesn't require board membership.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.