Investing from overseas

8 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to move to Australia for 2 years but I am interested in investing in a rental property before I go. Any advice or tips for things that may come up or how I can manage this from overseas? Or should I just wait until I get back?

Very best,

Mike

Property in Australia is very expensive. Being that you won't have a "credit score" I put that in " " is because I mean like a track record in Australia it's going to be very hard to get financing.

You may just want to save up for a while and invest back in the States

Hi @Michael Nowosadko !

So you are still in the US now?  That's great! If I were you would do it while you're in the states before you go to Australia (of course don't rush to do it before you leave. only if you have enough time).  You can always get a property manager! I am currently living abroad myself and and trying to invest back home.  I wish I was in the states so I could at least meet people face to face.

@Michael Nowosadko

Yes, you can invest in US real estate while living abroad; there are number of different ways you can invest without being present. What type of investment are you interested in? A single family rental, turnkey property, multifamily property? If you are not present you will need to make sure you have a solid management team on the ground in case there are any issues.

Originally posted by @Michael Nowosadko :

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to move to Australia for 2 years but I am interested in investing in a rental property before I go. Any advice or tips for things that may come up or how I can manage this from overseas? Or should I just wait until I get back?

Very best,

Mike

Many investors from OOS or overseas tend to invest in Turnkeys where everything has been renovated and it is managed for you. The idea is to make sure it is all done by the same company. It should be very passive for you. 

You can BUT it's still difficult because you will probably be seeking a lender in America but all your income will be in Australia. So that's what will make it difficult. They will be looking at the last two years of tax returns so hopefully you aren't moving into a new field of work. Then you need to wait 2yrs for the banks to consider you as financeable 

Originally posted by @Michael Nowosadko :

Thanks both, what about investing the US while living in Australia. Would that make sense? 

Many people invest in the US from Australia but financing is difficult. I know of some finance options but otherwise you would need to buy with cash.