Best Book(s) for a 19 year old getting started in Real Estate?

14 Replies

My daughter is currently renting just outside of Bangor Maine, with 4 other girls.  Houses are too cheap there to be renting instead of buying, so now she is looking to purchase.

She has listened to podcasts, and she has read Cash Flow Quadrant, but she specifically asked if I had book recommendations that cover the basics. I am sending her How to Buy a House by Mark Ferguson ...any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Rich Dad Poor Dad

What every real estate investor needs to know about cash flow... and 36 other key financial measures

She also needs to read  up on the local landlord tenant laws

Hi Erin, I don't know your back story, so forgive me if I make any incorrect assumptions. If you are coming in from out of the area, Maine can look really good due to the lower entry costs. Some things I have learned about Maine that need to be considered though:

• Taxes are relatively high compared to some other regions (all of New England/northeast are generally high property tax states)
  • Heating and utilities are expensive here and often cut into landlord's profits as some of these are more difficult to pass on to the tenants than in other regions
  • The housing stock is generally really really old (early - 1900s) and that comes with a lot more maintenance and CapEx than newer homes. So this has to be accounted for more than other areas

Hope this helps! I'm investing out of Maine and also here in Maine in the Bangor area. Basically, Bangor can look really good on paper but there are some things to consider about the area that can lessen the projected returns quite a bit. 

@Eddie Gonnella Thank you for your thoughtful response.  

She is in Orono, Maine now...and already cold :)  I'm in Boston so most things look much better than this market.  

I am familiar with old houses (my current house was built in 1880 with no insulation) so not worried about that aspect.  She is renting right now with 4 other girls, each paying $500 a room, heat included, for a house that is valued at $98,000.  She will be house hacking which will minimize some risk, and she has 4 roommates lined up.  

I can walk her step by step through the process (and will help her) but I want her to do this on her own...the reason I wanted the book recommendations for an uber newbie :)  Thank you again!

@Erin Connors The Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner is pretty basic and easy to understand guide to rental property investing. There are so many good ones I could list 100 but a 19 year old starting out just trying to grab the basics I would start with that one. (I’m assuming if they read Cash Flow Quadrant that they read Rich Dad Poor Dad too, if not its a must) good luck!

@Erin Connors - the richest man in Babylon. I wouldn’t call it a traditional “RE” book (one of the tenets is to own your own home), but it’s 90 pages long and a book I wish I would have read 10 years before I did.

Good luck to your daughter!

1. Rich Dad Poor Dad

2. How to Win Friends and Influence People

3. The ABC's of Real Estate Investing

If she reads these three she'll be motivated to buy real estate, able to communicate effectively, and will have the basic knowledge to get started.@Erin Connors

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here