Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Cindy Grigsby
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Hoosier Custom Construction

Cindy Grigsby
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted

Hoosier Custom Construction (Bryant and Jessica Burdine) did the rehab work for our first rehab project. We bought the house with Mainstay Property Group who used Hoosier Custom Construction to do the rehab work. We were out of the country and we could not manage it ourselves, so we agreed to let Mainstay manage the rehab. BIG MISTAKE with both of these companies.  

This is a typical general contracting nightmare where the GC earns your trust, takes your money and then moves on to the next job.

Hoosier Custom Construction has a very nice looking 'family oriented and professional looking' website. Do not let that fool you. Here is what they did to us (don't let it happen to you):

All the work they performed was SHODDY and way below standard. The pics they sent to us while we were away looked great, but pics always look better than the real thing. What we did not see was that they covered up severe plumbing issues in the walls by simply drywalling over them and hiding them. After we got a tenant living there, the walls started leaking water. The bathrooms were unusable. All the pipes were backing up all the time. We had to spend thousands of dollars to fix these issues that Bryant covered up by drywalling over.

They left a giant hole in the roof, which led to leaks we had to repair.

They installed the toilets incorrectly. We had to hire someone to install them the right way.

The tile was laid incorrectly which will eventually result in cracked tiles. We will need to get this fixed but due to all the other issues, we cannot afford to address it at this time.

(This is only the beginning! The list goes on and on and I will be happy to provide details to anyone who needs them.)

Here's a real kicker: We had paid for all new appliances. Bryant kept assuring me he had them and would install them. Then he refused. We assume since he left us without finishing our project, that he just put our new appliances into the next project he began working on as it probably paid more money.

Bryant(Hoosier Custom Construction)  left us high and dry without finishing the job. We were out $10750 just on work he was supposed to do but didn't finish. He would not respond to emails or texts. He would promise to 'get us on the schedule' but never did. 

In addition to the $10750, we had to pay an additional $12,000 just to repair all the things he did wrong! And it keeps going! We continue to find more problems on this house due to the repairs he did not address AND to the repairs he did incorrectly. We are out about$23000 now due to Hoosier Custom Construction and it just continues. We continue to find more of his problems that we have to correct.

We have notified the Attorney General about this. We will most likely never recover our money, however, my main goal is to warn other hard working, honest investors, like us, to stay away from these guys. Bryant was really nice to us in the beginning and we totally trusted him. I was so disheartened, bewildered and disappointed in him when the reality set in that he actually did this to us. We did not see it coming.

(I have already written about how it was to work with Mainstay Property Group in a separate post. In a nutshell, it was a nightmare and we will never work with Mainstay again as we cannot trust them either.They should have been checking all of Hoosier's work but they did not. We could not check it ourselves since we were out of the country. We sent money based on Mainstay telling us all was good. And obviously, it was not.)