Evaluate this mentorship deal

Evaluate this mentorship deal

Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2008 · 68 posts · 3 votes

I don't know if these kinds of deals are common. What I will say is these guy's aren't gurus. They don't have any books to sell or cd's or speak at REI meetings.

The two guys offering this program are local wholesalers and rehabbers. I found the program while I was on their site looking for properties to buy.

The program is setup like this. I would pay $5k upfront.

In exchange for this I would get 2 things. Obviously all of it would be laid out in a contract.

1) Approximately 35 hours of instruction. According to them half of this would be reviewing their methods and how they structure their deals in their office. I would get access to all their contracts and scope of work documents and written materials they use for evaluating and estimating costs on properties.
The second half of the instruction would be a series of tours of their current rehab projects ( they said they generally have 10 to 15 going at any time) and properties which they are considering purchasing as flip projects.

2) Guidance through 5 flip projects. I would have to find out exactly what this includes but basically they will help me select a property ( they are also wholesalers so they can also help me source property) , evaluate rehab costs, get comps, manage contractors and market the property at sale time. They can also help me go through the process of getting hard money.

We would split profits on these rehab projects 50 /50. If i finish the full 5 rehab projects with them, I will also get my original 5k investment back.

I have very mixed feelings about this. I know anything where you pay up front is a red flag but I would imagine if it was specified in a well constructed contract it could be safe.

On the other hand I have talked to them on the phone and they were very professional. I would be able to visit them at their office and speak with references they provide of other people who have done the program.

I believe that they are extremely experienced rehabbers and know their market as well as anyone, it's more of a matter of how seriously they are going to take the partnership and if they are going to take the time to work with me step by step on these deals.

Anyway I'd like to hear any thoughts as to how I should approach this or if you think I should just avoid this right off of the bat.

Thanks!

0Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Will BarnardPro Member
Moderator
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
13y

So, $5,000 for 35 hours of instruction which is $142 per hour, then they get 50% of your profits on the first 5 deals you do!
Tell me where to sign!!!

This is a horrible deal for you and a grandslam for them. Think twice b efore even considering such an offering.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Karen M.:
    1. How many of you have paid for a mentor?
    2. How many of you worked for free for a 'mentor?
    3. How many of you have mentored anyone for a fee?
    4. Who has mentored people for free?
    1. I have but would not call them a "mentor" more like guru organization robbing from the anxious to get started! That was a $13k lesson!
    2. Not me.
    3. I have. Few years ago I developed a hands on training program for rehab flippers. Only took 4-5 students at once, it was for 12 weeks and charged $2k - $2500 without taking anything else from them such as profits from their first 5 deals. I had a 50% success rate in that 50% of the students went on to do a deal (or multiple deals) that was profitable. I don't do that anymore as I just don't have the time and in 12 weeks, I can make a ton more doing deals than teaching. Makes me wonder why gurus don't just practice what they preach, seems they could make much more doing what they claim is so easy.
    4. I have many times, in fact, almost 9000 times here on BP!
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y

    This may be an unpopular opinion here on BP, but I firmly believe that most people who attempt to get into flipping won't succeed, regardless of whether they have a mentor/coach/teacher/guru or not.

    Of the people who try rehabbing, my guess is that 70% won't be successful long time, either because they don't have the skills, the personality, the intelligence, the motivation, the money, or some combination thereof.

    Of the 30% who have the ability to be successful long-term, my guess is that 70% of those could be successful with or without the mentorship/coaching/teaching. That's because they DO have the mindset, skills, motivation, intelligence and/or money to be successful.

    So, that means there's about 30% of 30% of people out there (about 10% using my non-scientific estimates) who could be successful, but require a mentor. So, of everyone who is mentored/coached, about 1 in 10 has the opportunity to be helped by that mentorship/coaching.

    Now, if 2/3 of mentors are crap, that means that only 1/3 of those being mentored who can benefit from being mentored will benefit. Which drops the percentage of people benefitting from mentoring to about 1 in 30.

    If you're 1/10 that can benefit, and you coach is in that 1/3 that's any good, mentoring/coaching is likely to be the key to your success!

    But, if you're in that 90% of people out there who won't benefit from coaching, or if your coach in in that 2/3 of bad coaches, you're probably spending money without the chance of much benefit...

    Do you know which group you're in? Do you know which group your coach is in?

    And, in answer to Karen's questions, I've never paid for coaching, I've never charged for coaching, but I have mentored for free.

  • Davenport , IA · Member since 2011 · 213 posts · 265 votes
    13y

    Is this the program being discussed: http://www.pittdeals.com/custom/index.cfm?id=186602?

    I know a guy going through it right now. He is on his second flip right now. it seems to be working very well for him and he is quite pleased with the business arrangement. I have never personally worked with them in this program but he gives it high marks. His first flip is on the market right now . I'll try to find the link and post here.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y

    Not sure if J's scientific math is correct, none the less, I doubt his numbers are far off. Point is, most who do get mentored wont succeed anyways for some or all of the reasons he mentioned. So the question remains, do you have what it takes? If yes, start learning right here on BP and apply/practice in the field.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Will Barnard:
    Not sure if J's scientific math is correct...

    HEY! I specifically said in my post that I was using "non-scientific estimates"...

    That said, I just took out my Chemistry set from 4th grade and should be able to generate some scientific estimates in a couple hours... :-)

  • Davenport , IA · Member since 2011 · 213 posts · 265 votes
    13y

    Here is the link to the house for sale, which resulted from his type of mentorship program.

    http://www.pittsburghmoves.com/property/details/197881/MLS-935411/632-Library-Ave-Carnegie-PA-15106.aspx

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Will Barnard:
    Not sure if J's scientific math is correct...

    HEY! I specifically said in my post that I was using "non-scientific estimates"...

    That said, I just took out my Chemistry set from 4th grade and should be able to generate some scientific estimates in a couple hours... :-)

    Looking forward to the scientific results! :)
    Always playing it down, I knew J was some kind of genius! 4th grade I was playing ball, J was performing tests for NASA. :-)
  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    13y

    Why is it everytime I see a thread asking about if someone should go to a bootcamp, hire a mentor or follow a guru, the first thing that pops in my head is Homer Simpson yelling "DOH!!"

    I am perfect to train people on the gazing mentorship though. It drives my wife nuts when she asks me what I am thinking and I tell her nothing, literally nothing. I have an uncanny ability to stare at a wall and turn off any thoughts. Watching paint dry can be very relaxing :)

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2012 · 498 posts · 48 votes
    13y

    Question 1 is whether these two mentors are good?
    Question 2 is whether they are to give you their entire method?

    If the answers to the above two questions are yes, I can't see why the deal is bad. At worst, if you get the method, you can start to mentor others.

    For example, for equity trading, you can spend $5000 for a useless
    trading system. A good portfolio quant trader would not sell you his
    main algorithm for a million dollars.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.