• Flipper/Rehabber
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
Sold My First Fix & Flip & I Learned a Ton

Cyle Harris
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Detroit, MI
Posted Jul 8 2020, 18:21

I recently sold my first fix and flip in early June and I have to say that this was one of the most difficult challenges I've faced in recent years. From experiencing my first eviction (and all of the headaches involved), dealing with a terrible contractor, and working with an even worst realtor, I really learned first hand how difficult real estate investing can be if you don't have a good team. Despite all of these things, I was able to successfully complete each stage of this deal thanks to my 9-5 job which provided the financial cushion needed to push forward, books on flipping houses which provided me with insight on how to execute each stage of the deal, and my faith in God because at the end of the day I'm only capable of so much on my own. 

Some of the major take away's I have from this experience is to invest time in building a good team (realtor, contractor, lawyer), get rid of incompetent people sooner (i.e. don't give contractor too many chances to screw you over), and run my numbers by other investors/people to verify my analysis (this mistake was by far the most costly). 

I plan on using this experience to begin building my rental portfolio and house hacking to lower my monthly living expenses. 

Loading replies...