Looking to buy out of state

Looking to buy out of state

Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 2 votes

Hi my name is David I'm an investor in New York properties are kind of high out here I would like to buy in areas like Philly ,Boston ,Connecticut or even upstate New York does anybody have any advice on how to research the market in these areas thank you

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Rachel H.:

@David Jones Definitely connect with @Ali Boone here if you want to buy properties out of state and have questions. She specializes in this area and has written extensively on the subject for the BP blog. Hope that helps! 

Thanks for the shout out, Rachel! :)

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @David Jones Definitely connect with @Ali Boone here if you want to buy properties out of state and have questions. She specializes in this area and has written extensively on the subject for the BP blog. Hope that helps! 

  • Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thank you, i will touch base with her

  • Rental Property Investor · Saratoga Springs, NY · Member since 2018 · 163 posts · 112 votes
    6y

    @David Jones I'd research RE meetup groups in the geographic areas you are interested. You may be able to Zoom call in to their meetings, but at a minimum you'll get introduced to knowledgeable folks you can leverage down the road.

    Best of luck,

    -Steve 

  • Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thank you steve

  • David BarnettPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2016 · 634 posts · 415 votes
    6y

    Why would you go from New York to Boston?  Real estate prices in Boston aren't exactly cheap....

  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    check out central indiana......better bang for your buck

  • Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Victoria Pham:

    Hey David, welcome to Philly! Read this article and you'll know that Philly is developing rapidly. As a consequence, some areas will appreciate as well and it's specially good for both buying rentals and flips.

    https://philly.curbed.com/2017...

    Let me know how I can help 'cause I've sold a lot of properties in this market and the suburbs of Philly. Best of luck on your research! 

  • Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thank you for you response Victoria . I will read the link 

    David

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Rachel H.:

    @David Jones Definitely connect with @Ali Boone here if you want to buy properties out of state and have questions. She specializes in this area and has written extensively on the subject for the BP blog. Hope that helps! 

    Thanks for the shout out, Rachel! :)

  • Property Manager · CT · Member since 2014 · 687 posts · 329 votes
    6y

    Hey David,

    The first steps I would recommend as a out of state investor is to get a handle on analyzing the income, expenses and ROI of these properties in Connecticut. Bridgeport is a great place to start.

    You can use the Bigger Pockets calculators to start. Use Zillow and rentometer.com to get data and analyze a few from your home to see what type of returns there are. Right now rents are strong, you can get $800 for a 1 bed, $1100 for 2 bed, and up to $1300 for a 3 bedroom.

    If these meet your investment criteria then start looking in person or have boots on the ground doing the footwork for you.

    Let me know if you have any questions.

    -Craig Bellot

  • Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    During the time covid-19 and a forbearance would like to know if anyone was recently brought multi families are dealing with tenants not paying rent and in what states are they allowing evictions. What type of tennis should I be looking for in purchasing multi-family homes

  • Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thank you Craig that was great information I'm in New York so Connecticut is one of the places I've been looking in to. which areas would you consider mean to look into

  • Property Manager · CT · Member since 2014 · 687 posts · 329 votes
    6y

    New Haven, Bridgeport, Hartford. 

  • Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @David Jones. I'm in the same boat looking to get out of state. I've been looking in Connecticut and Orlando. I'll let you know as I learn more. Good luck!

  • Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Looking for realestate agents , inspectors and realestate attorneys in Mecklenburg North Carolina, Randolph Massachusetts, Orlando Florida and Texas

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.