Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
Hello!
I will be moving to Arizona soon and would like to buy my first property. Can’t decided if it would be better to own a duplex first or single family. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :D
Rental Property Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 446 posts · 412 votes
6y
Either if the numbers work. Depending on your market, a duplex generally cash flows better, but may be harder to find. I've had good luck in my area with off market duplexes. They are easy to spot, then try to find the owner and get in contact with them. You can do the same for distressed SF. I like multifamily because you can keep one side rented while renovating the other and makes it easier on your wallet getting started.
Rental Property Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 446 posts · 412 votes
6y
Either if the numbers work. Depending on your market, a duplex generally cash flows better, but may be harder to find. I've had good luck in my area with off market duplexes. They are easy to spot, then try to find the owner and get in contact with them. You can do the same for distressed SF. I like multifamily because you can keep one side rented while renovating the other and makes it easier on your wallet getting started.
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 191 posts · 247 votes
6y
It doesn't matter too much honestly - duplex would probably have a bit more cashflow, SF a bit more appreciation. Bigger question is, do you know what market in AZ you'll be able to do this successfully in?
Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
6y
I like small multis over SFR for a few reasons.
The tenants are close together, so when it's time to change the filters (inspect) they are close.
One roof for multiple tenants.
Cash flow is usually better with more doors, but the best part is:
The overall vacancy rate is much lower. When a tenant moves your vacancy is only 50% in a duplex and 25% in a fourplex instead of 100% in a single family. That gives a little more breathing room to do repairs, update, and find quality tenants.
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
6y
@Brian Ellwood Thank you for your response. I know some to very little about the market. Specifically looking at Tucson Az. I will be moving there late January so this will allow me some time to do some more research.