Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Pete Winslow
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
Closed Second Deal!! Which Project to Start With?

Pete Winslow
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Posted Nov 20 2020, 04:49

I am closing on and moving into my second property today! I have a lot of ideas of what I would like to do to add value, but not sure where the best place is to start.  I am experienced with renovation and I am planning to take on many of the projects myself over the next 6-9 months as I do not have the capital to pay a contractor.  

Some details about the house:

- 3 Bed/2 Bath located in Old Town Scottsdale, AZ

- Tile flooring throughout entirety of house

- New roof installed within last 8 years (passed inspection so not planning to fix yet)

- Carport in large driveway that covers about 20'x20'

- Backyard space that has old brick/uneven rocks and ugly railroad tie rock gardens

- Kitchen (with no oven) that will need a remodel

- Single pane windows throughout entirety of house.  Weird size (~2' H x 4' W) and large floor to ceiling windows (two 3 foot tall windows on top of each other) with sliding glass door on the whole 25' wall to backyard 

Below are the projects I would like to get done in the current order I plan to do them.  Looking for any insights on what to add/change!

1. Paint exterior of home

2. Clean up/change landscaping

3. Build studio apartment under carport (allowing time for permit to be approved)

4. Renovate main bathroom

5. Renovate Kitchen (need help with design ideas)

6. Change windows to R5 energy efficient (Will need for AC costs around April timeframe in 5 months)

7. Change flooring from tile to laminate flooring throughout house

8. Update laundry room (currently open door through the kitchen that is poorly spaced out)

I know it is tough to comment without seeing the property but I would love any and all insights about what order makes the most sense.  Any insights are more than welcome!

Loading replies...