Beginner planning question

2 Replies

Hello, 

I am still an undergrad student; however, I am studying different RE interests. (Still do not know what I am wanting to pursue in regards to RE investing)

Either way, I am trying to create a few plans in regards to RE investing to launch in the next year or two. I will be debt-free and working full time. The main complication I am running into is that the location I am in is expensive.

Would it be too difficult to invest in property ~ a couple of hours away (for a beginner)? Or should high price not make me look elsewhere due to returns being in proportion to what is spent?

PS: One of the main reasons I question a far location is the fact that I may not know that market and what is good value etc. 

Thank you

Originally posted by @Connor Southwick :

Hello, 

I am still an undergrad student; however, I am studying different RE interests. (Still do not know what I am wanting to pursue in regards to RE investing)

Either way, I am trying to create a few plans in regards to RE investing to launch in the next year or two. I will be debt-free and working full time. The main complication I am running into is that the location I am in is expensive.

Would it be too difficult to invest in property ~ a couple of hours away (for a beginner)? Or should high price not make me look elsewhere due to returns being in proportion to what is spent?

PS: One of the main reasons I question a far location is the fact that I may not know that market and what is good value etc. 

Thank you

Hi Connor, returns are not always in proportion to what is spent, some areas are simply too expensive to make sense as a rental, if that is the route you choose. Investing out of state seems daunting, but with the internet and ability to communicate through multiple means, it can be pretty straight forward. You can learn a lot about an area by visiting once, asking locals, and doing research on the internet. I get the appeal of investing locally, but if it does not make financial sense, I would look elsewhere.

Forrest Faulconer