How to buy a 4 unit property at age 18?

How to buy a 4 unit property at age 18?

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hello everyone,

I'm 18 years old and with  average FICO score 715, I have a 5-10 percent down payment, with only 6 months of full-time employment (annual income 52k) and 1 year of part-time work history (annual income 20k). I have been planning this since I was 16 years old but I keep running into the same problem since I don't have co-borrower.

My credit union will not approve me without a longer full time employment history because my part time employment income isn't much. Seems like I am having a problem because I'm a recent high school graduate  Please advise how to buy a multifamily home under these circumstances.  What else can I do??

Tasha

0Reply
20 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan SheeksPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 621 posts · 362 votes
    5y

    Hey @Tasha Williams

    Congrats to you for your ambition! If you are looking to connect with someone for some guidance or advice, feel free to reach out. I also recommend you read this article I wrote for Bigger Pockets titled How to Invest in Real Estate Before Turning 21. Once you've read it, let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions. I am a high school teacher in Colorado and I am always looking to help young people get started in real estate investing or help in any way I can. Let me know if you want to chat sometime. https://www.biggerpockets.com/

  • Joseph SchommerPro Member
    Handyman · Brattleboro, VT · Member since 2019 · 82 posts · 46 votes
    5y

    Hi @Tasha Williams! Way to get started early! Asking is the first step. Do you have any friends or family with a solid work history and income that you can trust to partner with on the multi-family? Maybe you can be the deal-finder/house-hacker and they can be the money/qualification side. Some banks will also give loans using assets that you have as collateral. Assets like 401k, Life insurance, IRA etc... Do you have anything like that?

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Thanks for replying gentlemen.  Dan the article you recommended was great I think I'm there. I would love to get your guidance on some things along my journey to invest in real estate.  

    Joe, unfortunately everyone that could help me says "no, I should focus on going to college and not waste my time on real estate" since I'm a recent high school graduate. And cash is my only asset I have been saving for two years for my dream to own 5 properties before age 20. Now I'm finally 18 years old there are still some road blocks. 

    Thanks again and I'm open to suggestions!

  • Real Estate Agent · Aurora Colorado · Member since 2022 · 31 posts · 8 votes
    2y

    Hi Tasha!

    I noticed you sent this out a couple of years ago. Were you able to find a way to invest in real estate young? I’m going to turn 18 and would love any advice you have!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.