Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nikolas W.
Votes |
Questions From New Investor Looking to Buy Fourplex to House Hack

Nikolas W.
Posted

I'm just starting to research REI and looking for suggestions on books or other resources I should consume. So far I've been watching https://www.biggerpockets.com/... and started reading "Long-Distance Real Estate Investing: How to Buy, Rehab, and Manage Out-of-State Rental Properties". Are there any "must-read" books people would recommend to a new prospective investor?

I'm most interested in buying a duplex or fourplex as my first property so I could house-hack. Since I'm inexperienced I'm inclined to look for a turnkey property, but maybe I should be considering rehab properties as well?

Because I work remotely, I could invest in potentially any area of the country, although I've been mostly looking at Saint Louis, MO since it's a city I was already considering moving to. I have ~140k that I could put towards down payment, closing costs, etc, and it seems like that's more than enough to get a fourplex in STL. Some recurring advice I've seen in the "Intro to REI" videos and in the forums is to be conservative when estimating expenses, and I'm finding that makes it difficult to make any property cash flow, especially if I'm living in one of the units.

For example, this fourplex: https://www.zillow.com/homedet... is only 250k (which is so much lower than most other fourplexes I've seen that it seems like there might be some additional due diligence required). But at face value, the three currently rented units produce $2095/month in net income, so it seems like the cash flow could be great, but then when I plug everything into the calculator tool on BP with 8% vacancy, 10% property management, 10% cap ex, etc, I actually end up with a negative cash flow. Granted, even if the cash flow is -$200/month, I would be living rent-free as an owner-occupant and I would be gaining equity as the mortgage was paid off, so maybe it's possible to have a good investment that doesn't cash flow? Or is that phrase an oxymoron?

Something I found odd is the calculator's projected cash flow seems to improve over time. Is that because the calculator assumes rents will increase over time?

Lastly, are there resources about FHA vs traditional mortgages in terms of expected returns? Since I'm planning to owner-occupy, I initially thought a FHA or other small down payment mortgage would generate the best returns, and after reading a few forum threads it seems like that's what people usually recommend. It makes sense, and a small down payment would leave me with plenty of cash reserves, probably even enough to be ready to put a down payment on my next property when I felt ready. But if I'm already at a negative cash flow with a traditional 20% down payment, a FHA loan with PMI and higher principle payments would make my cash flow even worse. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks to anybody who takes the time to reply! I'm hoping to learn as much as I can and it seems like this is a good community to be part of!

Loading replies...