Hi! Recently I spotted a property priced at $600k. The property had come down from $1.2m. I proposed to my agent that we make an offer for $550k. The real estate agent refused and claimed her/his time is valuable. What should I do? Should I change agents if I have yet to sign any "exclusive agreement" contract?
Hi! Recently I spotted a property priced at $600k. The property had come down from $1.2. I proposed to my agent that we make an offer for $550k. The real estate agent refused and claimed her time is valuable. What should I do? Should I change agents if I have yet to sign any "exclusive agreement" contract?
1. Hire a new agent. OR 2. Call the listing agent and make an appointment to present your offer yourself.
Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
Not sure why a property would cut 50% like that, but 550K not bad on 600K..what state are you in? On the listing side I don't care what people offer if they take time to put one together. When I used to sell foreclosures it was pretty normal I would get offers at 40-50% of asking. Bank would not respond to those...but I presented everything I got.
What do you think the house is worth? $1mill 600K or 550K? My fear is at 550K you loose it.
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y
I'd be happy to help the agent out with more time and fire them. What they just told you is you are not worth their time. The house has had significant price drops and I am assuming has been on the mkt for a while so what can it hurt. If you didn't sign a contract just walk. If you did give them the option of presenting the offer or letting you walk, their choice.
Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y
You can work with what ever agent you want, if they're refusing to make an offer move on. I make 30 low ball offers for my clients everyday. It's a good way to start conversation and negotiations
Real Estate Broker · Medford, NJ · Member since 2018 · 236 posts · 177 votes
3y
@Moises Guerra Garcia switch agents right now. Find someone that will represent you properly and will do the work. This is insane, $500k price point is a solid commission. It takes 15 mins to send an offer.
A bigger concern is why a property has a 50% price reduction.
Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
3y
Hey Moises! When we sign up to be agents we sign up to support and represent our clients. I Recco end finding an agent who puts your first, that represents you and provides your the necessary knowledge to make educated decisions. with their refusal it could very much have been a miss in an opportunity for you. Don't waste your time on lazy agents.
Real Estate Agent · South Florida · Member since 2022 · 85 posts · 42 votes
3y
Yes they have to present the offer. Since you don't have an actually agreement stating that you guys are working together they can get away with it. A lot of agents don't realize the needs of an investor and the investors strategy. Sometimes it require submitting a ton of low overs and playing the numbers game. To a seasoned agent.. an offer should take maybe 10 minutes. So it sounds like this agent is burnt and does not want to work anymore.
Moving forward I would find a new agent and just simply state some expectations. That way you can mitigate this type of stuff from happening a bit. Sadly, many agents are just lazy..
Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
There's no way the property dropped 50%. Are you looking at comps and you think the property is worth $550k? An offer from $600k to $550k sounds reasonable, if it is actually priced at $600k.
If it is what I think it is, your realtor might have said that because he doesn't want you to waste his time showing properties, only for you to lowball from $1.2 mil to $550k.
But if it is not, I am super curious as to how it dropped 50%. And if it did, why you would want to buy something like that? Sounds like there is something very wrong with the property if that's the case.
Sounds like you and your agent do not have compatible expectations. Have a conversation about expectations and if the arrangement isn't working for either of you, go get a different agent.
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee · Member since 2020 · 30 posts · 13 votes
3y
I agree with what others are saying. If the property is listed at $600k and your agent won't put in an offer at $50k under asking, then you should have a conversation about your expectations with your agent.
If you were asking to write $550k on a property currently listed for $1.2M and there was already an offer or two out on the property, then I would understand the agent's point. But, in this circumstance, $550k is a more than reasonable offer and as your agent, they should be acting in your best interest.
Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
I agree with @Hersh Shah. At minimum I think your agent should give the listing agent the offer verbally to see if it's worth everyone's time.
@Moises Guerra Garcia- But I think the important question is, what do the comps say? If the comps showed the property was worth close to $600k and the buyer understood that but still wants to offer $50k below list price, personally I would be annoyed.
A lot of buyers have very unrealistic expectations when it comes to negotiating so I can totally understand the agent's reaction IF the property is in fact worth close to $600k. If the comps show the property is worth closer to $550k, I think it's silly your agent won't present the offer. I don't know your level of motivation as a buyer but agents are always gauging the seriousness of their clients and perhaps your agent, whether correctly or not, may have labeled you as not a serious buyer or a "tirekicker".
As agents pretty much all of us have or will at some point deal with buyers that will completely waste our time. Some buyers will waste their agent's time by asking them to submit a bunch of low ball offers to "see what happens" so they can get "a deal". If this doesn't apply to you, disregard this part but I'm just trying to give you a buyer agent's perspective.
You're free to find another agent that will submit the offer of course.
Get in touch with an experienced local agent or investor and shorten your learning curve and save you a lot of headaches as they tend to understand the market and process better.