• Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
Brokerage "owner" vs. "owner/operator" for a new business model

Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Posted Feb 1 2014, 19:22

Unlike fast food franchises, I'm not seeing where real estate brokerage franchises are set up as "owner" franchises. It seems like 99% (or more) of real estate brokerages are "owner/operator" set-ups. The "owner" is the licensed broker, and that owner/broker is broker-in-charge (or whatever the state sets as the official designation) and runs (is the "operator" of) the operation.

If it isn't clear, I am not a licensed broker. Car dealerships, fast food establishments, hair care services, ... all these franchise types (and more) have franchise owners who are established in multiple locations, some in multiple states. These franchise owners clearly can't be operators in all the locations. What I'm looking for is if anyone knows of, or is, set up just as an "owner" of a real estate brokerage. Franchised or not, I'd like to know how many of these "owners" (but not operators) have multiple locations or are thinking of expanding to multiple locations. What are the terms with your operators? Are your brokerages set up as separate entities? Do you partner with the broker/operator, and is there a preferred entity structure?

I have no interest in being an "operator". I'll hire a BIC. I'd prefer to invest as an "owner." And, no, I don't care about getting MLS access. I would prefer as an "owner" to focus solely on business development. Essentially, my motivation is 'proof of concept' for an investor centric real estate brokerage with a different model than what exists today. I'd like BP Nation's thoughts about the concept of brokerage "owner" vs. "owner/operator". For you licensed brokers... would being a broker, with a franchise structure and support (but without the ownership overhead (office cost, MLS fees, etc.)) be appealing?

Loading replies...