North Carolina Real Estate License Exam

19 Replies

I am gearing up to take the 40 question state portion of the NC real estate exam & wanted to see if any licensees whom have recently taken the test can provide any insight as to the level of difficulty as well as what areas to focus on, what to watch out for, etc. I plan on taking a prep course before taking the exam but any extra help is much appreciated so thanks in advance!

Hi Michael, I am taking the NC portion on April 23rd and I would be happy to give you feedback after I take it. I am licensed in Virginia and want to get my NC license. I am currently taking an online test prep course to get ready.

I got my RE license from Masschusetts. I only studied about 10 hours before taking exam without any help. I got my license.

You have to know the vocabs and other than that, its all about common sense.

AND LASTLY, READ QUESTIONS ONE MORE TIME.

for example: exclusive right vs agent exclusive right (something like that but i forgot the vocab)

For state section, as long as you know your vocab, you don't really have to study as long as you passed the other part. At least that happened for me.

@Bill Sargeson We'll likely be testing at around the same time. I'm actually shooting for about a week earlier. I'm gonna study my *** off all this week as well as take an in-class prep course. I'm already licensed in Florida and that test was pretty hard in my opinion. It took four attempts before I passed and I'm trying at all costs to avoid having a repeat with the NC exam. Best of luck to you & if I'm able to test before you on the 23rd I'll be sure to let you know what's up.

@Chang Maeng I'm pretty knowledgeable on the vocab & common sense so we shall see if it's enough to pass this one!

Anyone else with some input please don't hesitate to post!

Good luck guys!

@Luis Toledo Thanks my man I'm confident we'll do just fine!

@Bill Sargeson I actually just registered and will be taking it on April 21st so I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out.

@Michael Jobe I'll definitely be monitoring this topic. I've contemplating taking a course in Raleigh this summer and the more feedback the better choice I can make. Good luck!

Thanks for the well wishes @Matthew Edmond

I've been studying a lot so we shall see if it pays off. It took me four attempts to pass the one in FL so hopefully I don't have a repeat of that!

@Michael Jobe Good luck with the exam! I took it in early January, the whole thing including the national portion. Did you get out of that part because you had a license from another state?

I have to admit I did find the exam hard, and the feedback I got was that others in my class did too. However, we all did pass, so it couldn't have been that hard! One tip that was told to me which I found to be true was that there were plenty of questions on property management. Don't know why, it just seemed to be the case.

If you studied and took your course seriously, which it sounds like you did, you should pass.

Hey @Kate Pierse thank you bunches! I did get out of taking the national part since I was already actively licensed in another state. That's odd that they have so many questions on property management.

Where did you take your pre-licensing course?

At JY Monk in North Raleigh. They did a pretty good job overall.

@Kate Pierse Was the JY Monk practice exam anywhere near similar to the state exam? That's kinda what I'm using as part of my study guide. Also, how do you like Berkshire Hathaway as your brokerage firm? Feel free to PM me if you don't wanna discuss in a public forum..I completely understand!

I am in the same boat as you. I am licensed in New York and North Carolina wants me to take the state portion. I barely studied and passed the New York exam but I never had any problems passing exams before. Everyone keeps talking about how hard the North Carolina exam is so now I am nervous about it. Can you give me insight? Was it really as hard as everyone say it is?

Hey Michael, I see that you passed your exam! congratulations! I wanted to know if you or anyone reading this happens to remember any tricky questions that  were on the exam that i may need to know in order to pass? I've taking the state portion twice already and I have failed on both occasions. I'm already a licensed agent for the state of New York and that test was much easier.

Hi there!

I am also needing to pass the NC state portion only.  Can anyone suggest a prep course that covers the NC State 40 question test?  I have been a broken in NY for 12 years and understand that that failure rat of the NC exam is rather high.  (I don't understand why there is not the proper education offered see link to all of the schools failure rates:

http://www.ncrec.gov/Pdfs/Schools/LicExamPerfRep.p...

I appreciate any insight and wish everyone the best of luck :)

Any recommendations on the best law prep course to take? Best study material for the state portion? 

NC Real Estate exam is difficult. I went to gradschool at Harvard and failed this exam twice before passing Grrrrr. I once owned a Brokerage in NC and have to retake the exam since I have not been active for 5 years.

Dearborn, the publisher of the book used in the real estate school I attended - "Modern Real Estate Practices" has a exam disk for additional purchase that will not only review each portion but provide practice exams and scores

Once spending several hours with this as a study aid I passed.

**READ ALL QUESTIONS MORE THAN ONCE be clear on what is being asked because you will be given A LOT of superfluous information and you will go into overload trying to plug everything in,

*** Math questions       Draw a "T" on paper as soon as you sit down

On top of "T" write P (Part)

Lower left write R (Rate)

Lower right write W (Whole)

UNDERSTAND what you are solving for.. plug in what information youre given and solve accordingly.

Ex. if numbers are side by side multiply, if above and below TBar divide.

KNOW how to compute HUD calculations for both Seller and Buyer

KNOW types of estates and agency

Godspeed

Originally posted by @Xavier Beasley :

NC Real Estate exam is difficult. I went to gradschool at Harvard and failed this exam twice before passing Grrrrr. I once owned a Brokerage in NC and have to retake the exam since I have not been active for 5 years.

Dearborn, the publisher of the book used in the real estate school I attended - "Modern Real Estate Practices" has a exam disk for additional purchase that will not only review each portion but provide practice exams and scores

Once spending several hours with this as a study aid I passed.

**READ ALL QUESTIONS MORE THAN ONCE be clear on what is being asked because you will be given A LOT of superfluous information and you will go into overload trying to plug everything in,

*** Math questions       Draw a "T" on paper as soon as you sit down

On top of "T" write P (Part)

Lower left write R (Rate)

Lower right write W (Whole)

UNDERSTAND what you are solving for.. plug in what information youre given and solve accordingly.

Ex. if numbers are side by side multiply, if above and below TBar divide.

KNOW how to compute HUD calculations for both Seller and Buyer

KNOW types of estates and agency

Godspeed

@Xavier Beasley Your post was very helpful. I've been trying to determine which study guide to use and have debated between Modern Real Estate and PSI's study guide. Did you feel like that was enough to pass or is one of the cram courses necessary? I don't really have the time to go to one of the courses so its important for me to use a highly rated guide.

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide