First Transaction Representing a Buyer

First Transaction Representing a Buyer

New to Real Estate · San Diego · Member since 2024 · 20 posts · 15 votes

Hi everyone! I'm a newly licensed real estate agent and about to handle my very first transaction. I'm both excited and a little nervous since I do not have a mentor. For those of you who’ve been through this before, what are some key things I should be aware of during my first deal? Any common mistakes to avoid or best practices that helped you make it a smooth process?

Also, how did you build confidence with your client when you didn’t have experience to lean on?

Any tips or insights would be super appreciated. Thanks in advance!

5Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
1y

Many states have passed laws now that say you need close supervision on your first 4 transactions.  I would consult with your broker as to who will assist you writing contracts and supervise your early work.
It is vital when you are assisting people transacting one of the largest financial transactions and often their largest emotional situations of their lives.

Everyone starts somewhere, but no need to do it alone.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    Many states have passed laws now that say you need close supervision on your first 4 transactions.  I would consult with your broker as to who will assist you writing contracts and supervise your early work.
    It is vital when you are assisting people transacting one of the largest financial transactions and often their largest emotional situations of their lives.

    Everyone starts somewhere, but no need to do it alone.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego · Member since 2021 · 36 posts · 23 votes
    1y

    Hi Ashley!

    That is super exciting! I got my license recently as well and have joined a team at Compass. When I was interviewing brokers, most discussed that new agents would have an assigned Coach or Mentor for at minimum of 3 transactions (or more, if the first three were representing the buyer or the first three were representing the seller). I agree with Bruce in that your broker should have resources to directly assist you. 

    Best of luck, and congratulations!

    Brianna

  • Real Estate Agent · Greater Milwaukee Area · Member since 2025 · 54 posts · 27 votes
    1y

    How did it go? Know the bones of the contract which are the contingencies or potential obstacles. In representing a client, know what is important in the deal to them: inspection, walkthrough, hidden surprises, potential upgrades ADUs, getting specialists in, negotiating after inspections, collaborating with property manager, timelines. Once you are under contract, understanding your buyer's needs and negotiating are crucial. 

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Your broker should be your mentor. It happens far too often that brokers do nothing for their agents and agents go to brokerages knowing that they will not have support. You are handling the biggest purchase of someone's life and you are reaching out on social media for advice. It is unfair to that buyer.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.