This is something to REALLY think about if you're a real estate agent...

This is something to REALLY think about if you're a real estate agent...

Adam MaciasPro Member
Real Estate Consultant · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2022 · 285 posts · 178 votes

There's not as much competition as you think as a real estate agent.

I mean no disrespect to any of the agents here, some may be on BiggerPockets lol

BUT take a look at these ads in a local magazine.

What stands out, if anything?

To me, nothing stands out. It's just a list of names and numbers.

There's no clear specialty or specific example of how they can help.

The advertising is what is turning agents and lenders into a commodity.

There's got to be a benefit.

I don't want to call 10 agents and still not get the help I need because

they hate investors for some reason.

I want to only call those who can help my specific situation.

Whether I'm in probate or an investor buying rentals.

It doesn't include being a likable person if you do get a phone call.

If you can niche down, specialize in one thing, that alone will give you an advantage.

Because then you'll be found for that one thing in AI and google searches.

Just something to think about.



#realestateagent

2Reply
142 views

Most Popular Reply

Brandon VukelichBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Tacoma, WA: 🏢 27 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 456 votes
6mo
Quote from @Autumn Wibright:

This post feels very relevant to me as a new agent. While I want to be open to all opportunities in RE, it doesn't seem productive or effective for my business to not have a niche. 


@Autumn Wibright You can't and won't be an expert to everyone in all things real estate. When someone comes to me with (for example) a retail commercial deal or land development opportunity, I refer them to an agent/broker in my area and collect a referral fee. Stay in your expert lane, whether that is waterfront homes, condos, a certain neighborhood/town, STR investors, land, multifamily, etc. If I could start over, I would pick a niche and make tons of content every week about my specific niche. You will feel like you are missing out on opportunities outside your lane but trust the process. Best wishes on your career!

Broker at Multifamily Properties519 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    6mo

    Adam, I agree. Agents who clearly define a niche, whether it is investors, probate, relocation or first-time homebuyers tend to stand out more than generic ads. Specialization helps attract the right clients and positions you as a problem solver rather than just another name on a list.

    • Adam MaciasPro Member
      OP
      Real Estate Consultant · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2022 · 285 posts · 178 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      Adam, I agree. Agents who clearly define a niche, whether it is investors, probate, relocation or first-time homebuyers tend to stand out more than generic ads. Specialization helps attract the right clients and positions you as a problem solver rather than just another name on a list.


       Janice! Thanks for the comment. Yes, it's not saying it's a bad thing to advertise at least SOMETHING like this but we're in a different world with the internet today.

      I hope you're doing well out there in Atlanta!

  • Brandon VukelichBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tacoma, WA: 🏢 27 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 456 votes
    6mo

    Correct! When I shifted from traditional day-to-day residential sales and became a local house-hacker & multifamily expert for 2-20 units in my area, everything changed. So cliché but like the gurus say, "the riches are in the niches."

    Broker at Multifamily Properties519 Reviews
    • Adam MaciasPro Member
      OP
      Real Estate Consultant · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2022 · 285 posts · 178 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Brandon Vukelich:

      Correct! When I shifted from traditional day-to-day residential sales and became a local house-hacker & multifamily expert for 2-20 units in my area, everything changed. So cliché but like the gurus say, "the riches are in the niches."


       It's also why you're one of the best agents we know on BiggerPockets! Thanks for all you do as a Featured Agent, Brandon!

  • Realtor · Valdosta, GA · Member since 2026 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    6mo

    This post feels very relevant to me as a new agent. While I want to be open to all opportunities in RE, it doesn't seem productive or effective for my business to not have a niche. 

    • Brandon VukelichBusiness Member
      Real Estate Broker · Tacoma, WA: 🏢 27 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 456 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Autumn Wibright:

      This post feels very relevant to me as a new agent. While I want to be open to all opportunities in RE, it doesn't seem productive or effective for my business to not have a niche. 


      @Autumn Wibright You can't and won't be an expert to everyone in all things real estate. When someone comes to me with (for example) a retail commercial deal or land development opportunity, I refer them to an agent/broker in my area and collect a referral fee. Stay in your expert lane, whether that is waterfront homes, condos, a certain neighborhood/town, STR investors, land, multifamily, etc. If I could start over, I would pick a niche and make tons of content every week about my specific niche. You will feel like you are missing out on opportunities outside your lane but trust the process. Best wishes on your career!

      Broker at Multifamily Properties519 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.