Becoming a real estate agent

9 Replies

I am thinking about pros and cons of becoming a real estate agent and what the process looks like, can anyone tell me what's involved and what I need to do in order to get started. any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Phillip

Here are the details on what's involved.  It's very simple to find that information.  How To Get a New Jersey Real Estate License

There's also an article on advantages to having a license.

Just one tip and take this advice for what it's worth but this business requires you to be a self-starter.  In other words, you are going to control your own destiny and success in this business and a lot of that is learning to do things on your own.  I bring this up because your questions here are very easy to find answers to just on Google or even searching here on Bigger Pockets.  Perhaps you have a more specific question we could help you with and we're leading up to that but the part about getting your license and pros and cons are both readily available.

Most important question : What is your reason thinking about becoming an agent?

If you are looking to become an agent to represent clients I recommend you read Gary Kellers "Millionaire Real Estate Agent" in my opinion it gives the most realistic idea of what it takes to be a successful agent.

Originally posted by @Shawn M. :

If you are looking to become an agent to represent clients I recommend you read Gary Kellers "Millionaire Real Estate Agent" in my opinion it gives the most realistic idea of what it takes to be a successful agent.

I read that book, good read!

Originally posted by @Chris Farrugia :

Here are the details on what's involved.  It's very simple to find that information.  How To Get a New Jersey Real Estate License

There's also an article on advantages to having a license.

Just one tip and take this advice for what it's worth but this business requires you to be a self-starter.  In other words, you are going to control your own destiny and success in this business and a lot of that is learning to do things on your own.  I bring this up because your questions here are very easy to find answers to just on Google or even searching here on Bigger Pockets.  Perhaps you have a more specific question we could help you with and we're leading up to that but the part about getting your license and pros and cons are both readily available.

Chris, Thank You for your response and for the up front and honest assessment. When I googled the question I came up with a bunch of sites that offer courses, what I am hoping is that someone can tell me if one site/method is better than another. I am also concerned about the legitimacy of these sites and would feel more comfortable if given a specific recommendation. Regarding the pros and cons I intended that as more of a statement than as part of the question, I apologize for the lack of clarity.

@Chris Farrugia Chris I agree with you but speaking for myself as a newbie I prefer to post my own question and have the answers tailored to me.  New people are joining everyday with new insights.  It's kind of a nice icebreaker when you are new to be allowed to ask questions that are personalized to the way you think and analyze. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by @Shawn M. :

Shawn, Great way to put it. I am thinking about trying to get a job working for a broker so I can learn how to analyse properties for the sake of investing. And I like the idea of having some more tools available to me. Thanks for the suggestion I will check it out ASAP. 

Phil,

I recently completed my real estate course, took the state exam, and passed.

I took the course from Weicherts real estate school. I took my vacation from my day job and went to school 9-5 two weeks. The teacher (Frank) was great and cared about students. I suggest the same way. I know that it might harsh to give up vacation for going to school, but you can not gain without sacrifice. 

Meanwhile, amazon local deals has a coupon where you pay half price for the school which is $169.

There are $99 classes that are online only. It allows you to get a license, but no support if you have questions. For me it worked. I am in my first year and am on track to make $60k in Gross Commission.

I can be PM'd if you have specific questions. Make sure you get atleast a 70/30 commission split.

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here