Real Estate License - Worth it or not?

6 Replies

Hi -

I would like to be more educated regarding my investment transactions, therefore I figured it would be necessary to obtain my real estate agent license.  Pennsylvania requires employment with a brokerage firm prior to be granting a license; however, I have no interest in representing a brokerage firm. 

I would like to be license to demonstrate my professionalism and dedication to my investment.  What are other recommendations?  I considered being a Certified Property Manager; however, that designation requires being a real estate agent.

I truly appreciate the thought.

Regards, 

Licensees are heavily regulated, at least in AZ, so having a license can hinder your "creativity" as an investor so it may not be worth the acquisition, risk, hassle & cost of maintaining it.

Good luck! ;)

Originally posted by @Anil Samuel:

Contact your local REIA, to see if they have any RE classes you can take.

Thank you! I will check it out..

Stephanie,

I am an investor and realtor. I decided to get my license for the flexibility of seeing properties and keeping some of the realtors fee in my pocket.  It has worked out well for me.  You can take Realtors courses at some community colleges like Monto.  I am not sure about Delco.  I took my classes at Polly in Newtown Square.  For me it was worth it since I found a broker that is fine that I am flipping and not a full time agent.  Let me know if you have any questions I am only in Malvern.

Jim

Originally posted by @James Hogan :

Stephanie,

I am an investor and realtor. I decided to get my license for the flexibility of seeing properties and keeping some of the realtors fee in my pocket.  It has worked out well for me.  You can take Realtors courses at some community colleges like Monto.  I am not sure about Delco.  I took my classes at Polly in Newtown Square.  For me it was worth it since I found a broker that is fine that I am flipping and not a full time agent.  Let me know if you have any questions I am only in Malvern.

Jim

Thank you so much for your response.  I will certainly reach out to you as I am very interested in your advice.  I will send you a note to connect.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.