Co-listing agreement

9 Replies

Two sellers of the same home have decided they each want a different agent. 

The attorneys will draw up an agreement. This is my first co-listing.  

Please share experiences, surprises, advice....

It's no big deal as long as the other guy/gal is decent. Different mind sets do tend to lead to anxiety. Usually one agent or the other will take point (it just usually happens that way). Don't ever be negative about the other guy/gal to the client. I know that should probably go without saying but sometimes its hard. I am assuming you aren't in the same office. You will get through it. Keep communicating.

Like @Georgia Selfridge said.  Keep in constant contact with the other agent.  If you've never worked with them before, you may want to have an understanding about marketing and showing.  I haven't co listed with someone outside my brokerage, but we still coordinate.  One person is responsible for setting up showings, etc.

Good luck and I hope the parties are at least communicative.  I was trying to help my buyers purchase a home from divorcing sellers.  They wouldn't talk to each other so we backed out.  The house eventually sold, but for $15,000 less that what my buyers offered.

Looks like it could work out well. Your advice is appreciated. 

It sounds like there is an element of distrust between the sellers or their past experience with agents.  It's good to always keep that in mind because that is only reason your serving them as a co-listing agent in the first place.

It may be prudent to ask the seller your working with, "how you can meet all of their needs in excellence".  Would they like you to call the other seller and verbally inform them of pending offers?  Are there an special consideration you need to understand about the other seller, ect?  Just ask a couple of questions from time to time to make sure everything is ok.

Oh geez, They cannot agree on which agent to use. I can only imagine how difficult the two owners agreeing is going to be when it comes time to negotiate the counter offers.

Good luck to you on this one. It may be a bumpy ride.

@Ericka Parrott & @James Wise

The sellers are family members, one 90 yrs and the other about the same.  I know the family and hope to help them close the deal, at least for the sake of the seller I am representing.  The owner passed away, leaving the property to these two 4 years ago but the other seller has not cooperated.  The attorneys have an agreement from her at this point so perhaps the deal will close.

@Georgia Selfridge @Ericka Parrott & @James Wise @JOAN DICKIE

Finally Sold! 

It was a very bumpy ride.  The other seller, had multiple agents and attorneys.  They were all disagreeable to work with.  Multiple attempts to thwart the sale and overall dishonesty from the three of them.  I and my client were surprised the sale finally closed. 

Thanks for the encouraging words and attitude toward my endeavor.  

Originally posted by Account Closed:

@Georgia Selfridge @Ericka Parrott & @James Wise @JOAN DICKIE

Finally Sold! 

It was a very bumpy ride.  The other seller, had multiple agents and attorneys.  They were all disagreeable to work with.  Multiple attempts to thwart the sale and overall dishonesty from the three of them.  I and my client were surprised the sale finally closed. 

Thanks for the encouraging words and attitude toward my endeavor.  

Congrats. I imagine that was a lot of work.

Yes @James Wise it was much more work than I anticipated. I'm glad I stuck with it. Most agents would have given up and my client would have been cheated out of her half. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here