My Agent

13 Replies

Hi BP, 

Is it normal for my agent to send potential buyers to the property by themselves  with the buyers agent giving them the lock box combination number. Should I be upset about it? I would think that my agent should be more involved and want to go show the property himself.

Thanks in advance,

YA

That's fairly typical. Wouldn't you rather get them in there vs your agent not be able to show it to them in time? Buyers prefer to be able to walk through at their own pace. Most properties I have looked at I have been just given the lockbox code. 

@Yechiel Abekassis I assume you are the seller in this case.  If I were you, I would ask your agent why he doesn't show it himself.  The key question here is: What if someone goes in and steals things, whose fault is it going to be?  To simply allowing anyone to go in with the lockbox code is similar to leaving the door unlocked...

Yes, like @Ryan D. sometimes I get into the houses without agent having to show me (wouldn't be necessary anyway).  However, that's because 1) I'm a licensed agent and can legitimately "show my prospective buyer" (ie. myself), and 2) agents I deal with knows I am a serious and straight-up investor in our neighborhood.  Other than that, I would be very hesitant to simply allow an unknown buyer to show him/herself.  

@Yechiel Abekassis

Is this a property for sale or rent? If for sale, your agent definitely needs to be there. If he's too busy to show, then he's too busy to take the listing. 

In our area, we are not allowed to give out codes without seller permission, and in no circumstances do we allow buyer's access to our MLS keys.

@Che Chiu Wong @Ryan. D . Its buyer with an Agent . My concern was that you can't  get a real feed back if you not next to the buyer.

@Yechiel Abekassis , if the potential buyer is shown the house with the buyer's agent doing the showing, I don't see anything wrong with that.  In fact, my guess is that's the way it's done almost all the time.  Of all the times my agent showed me a house as a buyer, I don't think a seller's agent has ever been present.

Originally posted by @Yechiel Abekassis :

@Che Chiu Wong @Ryan. D . Its buyer with an Agent . My concern was that you can't  get a real feed back if you not next to the buyer.

Got it.  Seems like I mis-read slightly in your earlier post.  If your concern is a "real" feedback, then there is not too much to worry about.  Feedback is pretty much black and white.  Unless you really know the buyer (e.g. due to his reputation / past purchase history), the only real feedback is whether or not the prospective buyer is going to put in a real offer.  All talks are really just... talks...

@Yechiel Abekassis

As an agent in California the norm is to set up the showings with a lock box that only agents can access. Usually the combo is in the mls or they use a supra lock box which is accessible by an app on their smartphone or a separate device. The benefit to the supra key is that you don't risk the combo getting out.  Of course this should be talked about with the seller while taking the listing. Many of our homes for sell are shown by appointment only, so the agent has more control over who gets in. With the supra key, however, we can see which agents access the home and contact them for feedback although not all agents have a buyer with them or respond to feedback requests. 

If you want more control then ask your agent to set it up by appointment only and request that he/she be there for every showing.  Otherwise as long as they have an agent with them, don't worry about it.  

No, it's not a listing agent's  job to go with the buyer's agent and their client, and they don't want him there.

The listing agent does not go to showings unless it's for his own client. If CSS automated showing service is available in your area, the buyer's agent will schedule an appointment online. If the lockbox is a combination box, he'll receive the code. If it's a Supra box he'll open it with an app on his phone.

CSS also has an automatic feedback feature. After the scheduled appointment, the buyer's agent will receive an email asking for feedback on the showing. If they are not using CSS the listing agent can send the buyer's agent an email asking for feedback.

It is highly unusual for the listing agent to attend a showing for a buyer who is not his own client. In the last year I've seen exactly one listing where it was a requirement that the listing agent attend.

@Yechiel Abekassis , as a RE Agent I've been on both sides of the fence and I can tell you its perfectly normal for a Buyer's Agent to show their buyer the property without the listing agent being present.  As a licensed RE Agent it is the responsibility of the buyer agent to make sure they only know the lockbox combination and that the property is secure.  In the 10+ years I've been in RE I've never had any issues.   Hope that helps!

@Yechiel Abekassis You probably wouldn't get much real feedback w you and or your agent there anyway. In fact if I were representing the buyer I would likely tell my client to keep quiet aside from very specific questions about condition. 

If the buyers agent gave his clients the access code to the property without him being present he can loose his license. 

Originally posted by @Yechiel Abekassis :

Hi BP, 

Is it normal for my agent to send potential buyers to the property by themselves  with the buyers agent giving them the lock box combination number. Should I be upset about it? I would think that my agent should be more involved and want to go show the property himself.

Thanks in advance,

YA

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide