What Are Your Top Study Tips for Online Pre-Licensing Courses?

14 Replies

Hi BPers,

I've decided to get my real estate license (will be going with an online course) and have chosen the school I'll go with. I don't only want to pass the state exam, but I want to get a really strong understanding of the subject mater.

What are your top tips for effective study and achieving understanding? Any other tips are greatly appreciated as well :)

memorization.. just pass the practice tests at 98 to 100%  you will pass the final no problem.. Also don't get bogged down on the math questions unless you like math and find them easy.

when I took my tests in the day.. I never even read the math questions just skipped them to last and marked C... I new the other material so well that I knew missing 5 math questions was no biggee... same with section and range questions.. I like those so I would work them out.. but its predominetly law and rules test so just hone in on those.. get them done first then come back to the math or legal description questions.

Medium ksqoekox 400x400Jay Hinrichs, TurnKey-Reviews.com | Podcast Guest on Show #222

Just keep reading through the books you get.

But, you only need to know enough to past the tests.  Once you're in the real world you'll almost never use what you learn.

Plus, you'll learn more about RE here than the RE classes.

Understand the vocab words.

@Drew Clements

I know this may sound really stupid, but I have found that getting out of the house and going to the library works for studying.  I guess just the act of getting in the car, driving a couple blocks, finding a quiet place in the library, and focusing puts things in perspective.  The house has too many distractions and I can think of too many ways to procrastinate while there.  In my mind I can think of only one reason why I went to the library.  It zeroes me in on the task.

No more than an hour of studying per day online or offline. Find a quiet place that's not in bed yet some place cozy that you can really focus.

Kudos,

Mary

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

memorization.. just pass the practice tests at 98 to 100%  you will pass the final no problem.. Also don't get bogged down on the math questions unless you like math and find them easy.

when I took my tests in the day.. I never even read the math questions just skipped them to last and marked C... I new the other material so well that I knew missing 5 math questions was no biggee... same with section and range questions.. I like those so I would work them out.. but its predominetly law and rules test so just hone in on those.. get them done first then come back to the math or legal description questions.

I'm having flashbacks of the ACT and SAT reading this, haha! I suppose strong testing skills never go out of style. Thanks for the strategy tips!

Originally posted by @David Hunter :

Just keep reading through the books you get.

But, you only need to know enough to past the tests.  Once you're in the real world you'll almost never use what you learn.

Plus, you'll learn more about RE here than the RE classes.

Dang, that's a bit sad given the course cost - really expected the content to be more focused and actionable with this compared to other things (like my college degree, lol!).

Couldn't agree more on the BP endorsement, though! Really awesome resource - would definitely be making a lot mistakes without it (i.e. you and all the other community members). Thanks!

Originally posted by @David W.:

@Drew Clements

I know this may sound really stupid, but I have found that getting out of the house and going to the library works for studying.  I guess just the act of getting in the car, driving a couple blocks, finding a quiet place in the library, and focusing puts things in perspective.  The house has too many distractions and I can think of too many ways to procrastinate while there.  In my mind I can think of only one reason why I went to the library.  It zeroes me in on the task.

Absolutely agree! I have three kids, so working from home (no office) is definitely a challenge when it comes to focusing. It'll either be library or after bed time for sure!

Originally posted by @Mary B. :

No more than an hour of studying per day online or offline. Find a quiet place that's not in bed yet some place cozy that you can really focus.

Kudos,

Mary

Thanks for the tips, Marry - I can definitely see how that would limit burn-out day-to-day; but with my personality, I'd go insane with a slow 'n steady approach - just going to crank through it as quickly as I'm able. Knock it out and get to work :)

@Drew Clements

just focus on passing the test as quick as possible.. then if you have never sold anything retail ,,, I suggest you get some very good sales training.. you need to know how to deal with people... to qualify present and close.. and do NOT be afraid to pay for really good sales education.. sales education is one item that is very tough to learn on line or in a book.

In my early days... our Real Estate company would have sales training almost weekly... this is were I learned the art... and a good salesmen will out perform someone who has no sales skills  10 to 1.. there is no question about that.

Medium ksqoekox 400x400Jay Hinrichs, TurnKey-Reviews.com | Podcast Guest on Show #222

@Drew Clements

just focus on passing the test as quick as possible.. then if you have never sold anything retail ,,, I suggest you get some very good sales training.. you need to know how to deal with people... to qualify present and close.. and do NOT be afraid to pay for really good sales education.. sales education is one item that is very tough to learn on line or in a book.

In my early days... our Real Estate company would have sales training almost weekly... this is were I learned the art... and a good salesmen will out perform someone who has no sales skills  10 to 1.. there is no question about that.

Great points, Jay, my background is in marketing and running an advertising agency (lot's of account management). So I feel pretty confident working with people in a sales capacity, but I'll be the first to admit that marketing and sales are different disciplines - what sales courses are you familiar with/would you recommend? Put another way, what would be the key points a quality course should cover?

@Drew Clements

I really don't know the new breed of trainer these days.. just google RE sales training I am sure there will be many... then check them out for bona fides.. I did all my training in the 70's to mid 80's  after that my skills were set.. all though you need to tune them up..

And with the internet and smart phones and such I am sure there are many new techniques that we never were taught.. I mean I started selling real estate it was a one page contract with  GASP  Carbon paper  I am sure there are many on this site that do not even know what Carbon paper is or was used for... :)

jay, i signed up for the www.realestateexpress.com a  few months ago and have been trying to study at leasst a section each day. i have had a hard time passing the individual sections, not sure if it's this particular website/course or they are all this difficult.

most questions are tricky and unnecessarily difficult. i dont know why they try to trip you instead of helping you pass. i did well in college, but this is the first time i have to memorize material since college.

i talked to my agent and she said the actual test is easier, but maybe because she is good at memorizing.

any tips? or just go over it multiple times?

take practice test until you can pass them with a 95 or better score and your ready.

you should be able to read half of the question and know the answer is B... then your ready.