Real estate programs in Houston, Tx

23 Replies

Hey fellow Bp's. I have decided to get my real estate license in the the state of Texas and am unsure of which program to choose. I currently work 40 hours a week, 8-5 so classroom education seems unlikely. Ive compiled a list of programs according to the success rates posted on TREC's website. Out of the list Kaplan, Champion, and Austin institute of real estate seem to have the best reviews. Any recommendations? Do you guys suggest classroom over online? How long did it take for you guys to complete the required courses? 

Thanks guys! 

I took the champion course. It took me five days to complete the five required classes. I think the requirements may have increased by a couple of classes since I got licensed a few years ago. Another couple of weeks to get approved by trec and schedule fingerprints and test. About one month start to finish. @Denita Ozenne

Originally posted by @Jeff W.:

I took the champion course. It took me five days to complete the five required classes. I think the requirements may have increased by a couple of classes since I got licensed a few years ago. Another couple of weeks to get approved by trec and schedule fingerprints and test. About one month start to finish. @Denita Ozenne

 Thanks for your reply. Did you do the online training or classroom? Were you working full time as I am? And congrats on getting it done, I know folks who stated it took several months. I say I want to be licensed in two months. You give me hope! 

I took the online classes... As I understand it, the classroom will take several months.  I was working full time when I went through the coursework. One class every evening for a week... Usually I could finish each class in 1-2 hours... But by the time I went through the course, I had already been involved in real estate for several years and reading about it for over a decade... So, I knew the terminology and had a pretty thorough understanding of the material.

@Denita Ozenne

Originally posted by @Jeff W.:

I took the online classes... As I understand it, the classroom will take several months.  I was working full time when I went through the coursework. One class every evening for a week... Usually I could finish each class in 1-2 hours... But by the time I went through the course, I had already been involved in real estate for several years and reading about it for over a decade... So, I knew the terminology and had a pretty thorough understanding of the material.

@Denita Ozenne

 Thanks Jeff. This was very helpful. 

Thanks, Jeff. I had been considering it myself so you've answered my questions too.

I've been looking in to getting licensed as well, and have been leaning toward San Jac as it has a mixture of online and classroom, and covers the 6 courses in 4 or 8 week timeframes each (overlapping). Also might be a bit biased as San Jacinto is where I got my paramedic training. 

@Denita Ozenne I am in the beginning stages of the a course from

https://www.realestateexpress.com/ I think it will probably take me about two months to get the full course taken care of with kids and some key remodeling that I need to finish up here at the house.   I chose them because of their test success ratio where their students have a pass rate of 80% of the first time through according to TREC.    They force a passing rate of 80% on all sections before you can move on.  Also you can give them a shout, ask a few questions and get a decent discount on the course.  Best of luck.

Cheers,

Darin

I used trainagents.com, but I didn't look at stats as far as success rates go. I went to TREC's website, went through all the online courses they had listed, this one was under $400 including the Texas & National test prep courses, they offered a %115 money back guarantee you'd pass the test on the first try, and a lowest price guarantee. I finished in a week, took my Exams the following week, and finished them in about 45 minutes. All I'm waiting on now is my background check.

I am a licensed agent in SD,CA and have taken both online and classroom setting. If you can't make it to class I would say do it online. I think personally I got more out of the online classes because at times I felt as if the classroom was a waste of time listening to stories rather than them teaching the text book. If you are a very motivated and self diciplined person do online. Now I also have passed the classes for Texas RE as Texas does not recognize any other state license unless your a broker. I went to Kaplan online and finished in a week all four classes. Granted I was a working agent in CA and Kaplan only requires you to pass the tests. I don't know what the pass rate for the state exam is but make sure you are prepared. The Kaplan course came with a very nice study guide for the state exam. Hope this helps
Originally posted by @Eric Tinsley :

I used trainagents.com, but I didn't look at stats as far as success rates go. I went to TREC's website, went through all the online courses they had listed, this one was under $400 including the Texas & National test prep courses, they offered a %115 money back guarantee you'd pass the test on the first try, and a lowest price guarantee. I finished in a week, took my Exams the following week, and finished them in about 45 minutes. All I'm waiting on now is my background check.

 Thanks Eric. This was extremely helpful. I'll look into trainagents.com. Did you have any real estate experience prior to this? 

Originally posted by Account Closed:
I am a licensed agent in SD,CA and have taken both online and classroom setting. If you can't make it to class I would say do it online. I think personally I got more out of the online classes because at times I felt as if the classroom was a waste of time listening to stories rather than them teaching the text book. If you are a very motivated and self diciplined person do online. Now I also have passed the classes for Texas RE as Texas does not recognize any other state license unless your a broker. I went to Kaplan online and finished in a week all four classes. Granted I was a working agent in CA and Kaplan only requires you to pass the tests. I don't know what the pass rate for the state exam is but make sure you are prepared. The Kaplan course came with a very nice study guide for the state exam. Hope this helps

 Thank you for this! I am quite disciplined so I'm sure online won't be a problem for me.  I'm actually one of those weirdos who loves education. I may be the only person I know who misses their college days for the late night study sessions lol. Thanks again 

@Denita Ozenne, I took my classes online through Real Estate Express and I do recommend them to others.  I did it in 1 month.  That isn't normal, but I was motivated to finish it asap.  Per the TREC website they have one of the highest passing rates.  Good luck!

Hey @Denita Ozenne

I was also working 8-5 M-F when I took the classroom course at Champions. I decided to take the classroom course because once I get home, my family demands a lot from me and I knew I wasn't going to be able to complete the online or book thing. It was easier for me to go to RE classes straight from my job and not sit in Houston traffic wasting valuable time.

Champions has a classroom program from 6:30pm-10:00pm (I don't recall very well the exact hours) and the only draw back is that it will take 3-4 weeks to complete. The positive is that if you have never been involved with RE the teachers are better at explaining some of the stuff and provide TONS of real life examples that help understand some of the most difficult topics. I really enjoyed listening to some of their stories and how they dealt with some common issues.

I hope this helps and good luck with your RE adventure.

Dennis  

I used Kaplan and did the online/home course. 


 Thanks Eric. This was extremely helpful. I'll look into trainagents.com. Did you have any real estate experience prior to this? 

No just reading on here, and other REI sources. I think math was 10% of the test, and I already understood the investing side so that helped, but all in all the other stuff wasn't to hard. Once you get to where you can pass all the practice tests the real one was easy. They give you like 4 hours to do it, I was done in about 45 min.

Originally posted by @Maurice Brantley :

I used Kaplan and did the online/home course. 

 How was that for you? I am really interested in the Kaplan course. How long did it take you to complete? 

Originally posted by @Dennis Rodriguez :

Hey @Denita Ozenne

I was also working 8-5 M-F when I took the classroom course at Champions. I decided to take the classroom course because once I get home, my family demands a lot from me and I knew I wasn't going to be able to complete the online or book thing. It was easier for me to go to RE classes straight from my job and not sit in Houston traffic wasting valuable time.

Champions has a classroom program from 6:30pm-10:00pm (I don't recall very well the exact hours) and the only draw back is that it will take 3-4 weeks to complete. The positive is that if you have never been involved with RE the teachers are better at explaining some of the stuff and provide TONS of real life examples that help understand some of the most difficult topics. I really enjoyed listening to some of their stories and how they dealt with some common issues.

I hope this helps and good luck with your RE adventure.

Dennis  

 Thank you so much for this! 

Originally posted by @Chris Bounds :

@Denita Ozenne, I took my classes online through Real Estate Express and I do recommend them to others.  I did it in 1 month.  That isn't normal, but I was motivated to finish it asap.  Per the TREC website they have one of the highest passing rates.  Good luck!

 I've see no mixed reviews about them. I would love to get through the course work in 4-6 weeks. Im happy to hear it's doable. I'll look into REE more. Were you working full time as well? 

I just noticed that Groupon has a deal for Real Estate Express for the next few days. 

Originally posted by @Denita Ozenne:
Originally posted by @Chris Bounds:

@Denita Ozenne, I took my classes online through Real Estate Express and I do recommend them to others.  I did it in 1 month.  That isn't normal, but I was motivated to finish it asap.  Per the TREC website they have one of the highest passing rates.  Good luck!

 I've see no mixed reviews about them. I would love to get through the course work in 4-6 weeks. Im happy to hear it's doable. I'll look into REE more. Were you working full time as well? 

Yes, I was working full time then. I woke up at 5am and did a few courses before work. Then more during lunch. And even more on my laptop in front of the TV during the evening. However, I was already an experienced REI at the time so I knew the vocabulary and most of the general information.

Originally posted by @Stuart Johnston :

I just noticed that Groupon has a deal for Real Estate Express for the next few days. 

 Omg! Thank you sooo much. Just purchased it! 

I am currently in this Real estate express for Texas. I purchased their prep course as well. Is this sufficient enough to take the exam and pass? or should I get the champions prep course. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here