A step back to grasp then importance of who you are without tech.

A step back to grasp then importance of who you are without tech.

Professional · TX · Member since 2012 · 35 posts · 4 votes

link

This is an amazing TED talk that really resonated with me in my continuing journey. Fact of the matter is, I hear of way too many people relying on everything tech however, they don't want to go out and make physical contact with prospective clients. Some of us new realtors would rather stay behind the comfortable buffer of a phone. Why is this? New realtors and seasoned realtors alike are so quick to shoot down the idea of door knocking however, what other sales method gets you in front of the prospective seller with the product in the proverbial hand? Fact of the matter is, if you fear rejection, get out now! If you want to follow marketing gimmicks that promise 6 figures, get out now! If you want to be a leader and form a new marketing plan that fits you and your prospective goals, begin with door knocking and meet your local home owners.   

I want to follow this with saying that I am in the process of getting my realtors license in the state of Texas. This thread is more of a reminder to myself to not rely on social media or software rather, to learn how to form relationships in person without the reliance of technology and to always remember that this is a business based upon ethics, communication, reliance and execution, not technology.                      

1Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2012 · 163 posts · 121 votes
10y

I agree with you to a point.  There is the law of numbers though as well.  If you email/mail enough people a few of them will say yes.  But also picking your best clients/ partners and spending quality time with them is extremely important if you want to build strong relationships.  I think it's important to place a value on your time though and make sure that you are spending your business time with the right people who can actually make a difference for your business. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2012 · 163 posts · 121 votes
    10y

    I agree with you to a point.  There is the law of numbers though as well.  If you email/mail enough people a few of them will say yes.  But also picking your best clients/ partners and spending quality time with them is extremely important if you want to build strong relationships.  I think it's important to place a value on your time though and make sure that you are spending your business time with the right people who can actually make a difference for your business. 

  • Brett SynickyPro Member
    Solo 401k and SDIRA Consultant · Orange, CA · Member since 2013 · 874 posts · 498 votes
    10y

    Hi @Sterling Williams

    Great post, however I must disagree with you on one point in particular.  I'm not sure what the definition of prospect is but I don't think it's any joe you run into whether intentionally or unintentionally. 

    Rather a prospect is somebody who responds to your marketing, whether branded or less branded. When you follow up with them it's your job to turn them from a prospect who requested something from you into a face to face appointment to convert them into a client. Using technology to do this is one of the best ways but direct mail and sign calls can be very effective as well, in fact you need multiple "arms" out there to be uber successful.  

    You're absolutely right about not being successful unless you get face to face with people, however I promise you door knocking is a very expensive (think time value of money) way to do it.  But that's not even the largest downside of door knocking or any prospecting that requires you to do it or it doesn't happen.  What happens when you door knock for 2 months then finally you get lucky and somebody wants to list, or buy. What happens to your manual prospecting when you are working with your client to find them a new home or sell their current home?  It stops that's what.  That's why so many realtors have peaks and valleys in their income. 

    Figure out a different way. 

  • Professional · TX · Member since 2012 · 35 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Thanks both @Chris Shepard and @Brett Synicky for your responses.

    I want to clarify myself just a little bit. I completely agree with the both of you that you need "multiple arms" to be successful, and I understand that technology better helps that goal. However, I don't want technology to be the foundation of my business plan. I really want to get out and meet with prospective sellers, investors and 3rd party sources to build a funnel of referrals. I plan on doing this by getting out there and making physical contact with these prospects by door knocking, joining different clubs and associations and setting up booths at whatever events and shows I can get into. I will surely try different marketing campaigns through the use of technology, but I really do not think I will rely too heavily on them however, I could be absolutely wrong.     

    As to Brett Synicky's question... I really don't think I'll ever be able to accurately analyze the effectiveness of a door knocking in just 2 months. I'm going to approach my marketing in 90 day segments (quarterly), and adjust accordingly. If it doesn't work, I need to adjust my delivery (script), and try again. Ultimately, I want to dedicate 3-4 solid hours of door knocking 6 days a week during the high peak times when the prospect is home. Door knocking has been way to successful for others for it not to work. 

  • Brett SynickyPro Member
    Solo 401k and SDIRA Consultant · Orange, CA · Member since 2013 · 874 posts · 498 votes
    10y

    @Sterling Williams

    It works but I'll tell you once you get busy you won't have time for it. Then your lead gen stops. I would definitely use a targeted list of "prospects" and knock on their doors only. Use rebo gateway for example. 

    Also do yourself a favor and look up direct response marketing.  If you spent 6 hours a week with drm you would generate far more warm leads than you ever will by door knocking. But you won't have to spend that much time on it. Once you set up marketing that works without you, build a fence around it and keep doing it. Then you'll know how many leads you'll get per day/week/month, then track your conversion then track your close rate then you'll know how much income you'll have consistently.  Something most realtors cannot do.  Door knocking is just too time consuming and too inconsistent.  IMHO

    Good luck to you!

  • Professional · TX · Member since 2012 · 35 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Brett Synicky:

    @Sterling Williams

    It works but I'll tell you once you get busy you won't have time for it. Then your lead gen stops. I would definitely use a targeted list of "prospects" and knock on their doors only. Use rebo gateway for example. 

    Also do yourself a favor and look up direct response marketing.  If you spent 6 hours a week with drm you would generate far more warm leads than you ever will by door knocking. But you won't have to spend that much time on it. Once you set up marketing that works without you, build a fence around it and keep doing it. Then you'll know how many leads you'll get per day/week/month, then track your conversion then track your close rate then you'll know how much income you'll have consistently.  Something most realtors cannot do.  Door knocking is just too time consuming and too inconsistent.  IMHO

    Good luck to you!

     I will definitely look up direct response marketing. Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.