Denver Metro Area Brokerages to Hang License With

8 Replies

Hi BiggerPocket Members!

I have just about completed my classes to get my Real Estate License in Colorado and am on the hunt for a brokerage to hang my license with, and would appreciate some advice and see if anyone has suggestions on a brokerage that would be a good fit.

Here is my background. I have been investing, on a small scale ($15K-$50K per year) in real estate for the last 5 years, so I am not green on the subject of real estate. I still work a corporate job but I work from home and my hours a set by me, thus allowing me time to pursue other things, ie. real estate.

I am looking for a brokerage in the Denver Metro Area (preferably not North of Downtown Denver)  that has good training and a good support system for new agents, but will allow me the freedom to continue to invest in real estate personally.  Also, because my wife is unable to work because of medical issues I would need a brokerage that is okay with me having another full time job until I can replace the income of my full time job. I realize that as an agent I will not be working a 9-5 schedule and need to be available to my clients at all times. That part will not be an issue.

I would really appreciate some guidance and suggestions from anyone who can help.

Thank you in advance!

My big question for you here is what is your overall goal? Do you want to leave the 9-5 to become a full time broker while doing some investing on the side? Do you just want to have your license to invest and help some friends out once in a while?

@Matt Hiltner unless your current day job is in some sort of sales, you will likely find the broker route pretty challenging. Not to say you can't be successful with it, but most agents washout. The hours stink as well. You are working when everyone else is off work.

I think Keller Williams has a good reputation as a brokerage that trains new agents well. I started there, but only got my license for my own deals. I have done a few deals for others along the way so having a license has been a good thing.

The secret is that nearly every brokerage will hire you. They are structured so that if you produce they get paid and if you don't produce you pay them.

The approach is to interview them. Also be aware that each office is a bit different. So there might be an office that says they don't want part timers but another office with the same company will welcome you with open arms.

@Matt Hiltner Depends on what you want to learn.  I'm with a "low cost" brokerage - Broker's Guild.  It fits my needs fine in that it doesn't cost anything unless you do a transaction, then it's a small flat fee.  I didn't feel I needed that much "training".  I'm not sure what there would be honestly, but maybe I'm missing out.  I've referred several people from BP there.  I've found the support to be great, but if you need hand-holding, or want to learn about how to "market to your sphere" as an agent, one of the other brokerages might be a better fit.

PM or call if you want more info.

I, too went with a low-cost brokerage firm. I still get training, my employing broker is awesome. I work with Equity Colorado, and we have offices in Denver and Niwot. There is a low, monthly desk fee, low per-transaction fee and they cover your E&O insurance.

Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen :

I, too went with a low-cost brokerage firm. I still get training, my employing broker is awesome. I work with Equity Colorado, and we have offices in Denver and Niwot. There is a low, monthly desk fee, low per-transaction fee and they cover your E&O insurance.

Thanks Mindy! I just sent you a PM.