Skip to content
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Allan B.
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
How do I become a Real Estate agent in Florida?

Allan B.
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted Jun 21 2016, 06:14

I've been involved in real estate for the past 5 years, and have bought and sold about 5 properties.

Now, I'm looking into become an agent myself, so I could list/sell properties myself instead of going through another agent.  This would be part-time...perhaps about 10 hours a week for now.

Questions:

I see that for Florida, I have to complete a 63 hour course (which seems like I can take online), and then pass an exam.   However, the next step is to have a broker sponsor me. 

1.  What does this entail?

2.  When a broker sponsors me, I suppose this is to allow a mentor/mentee relationship.  How does this relationship usually work?  Do I pay the broker a fee?  Do I work for the broker?

3.  While I am being sponsored, am I able to list/market my own properties, and am I subjected to sharing some of my commission with the broker?

4. Any recommendations of any sponsoring brokers, preferably in the South Florida area?  I'm open to splitting my commission or paying monthly fee.

Basically, I'd like to operate independently eventually...  and I'm trying to figure out how this all works.

Loading replies...