real estate photography DSLR vs galaxy s7

5 Replies

I have a Canon 70D DSLR and a Galaxy S7. I have basical knowledge of the ISO, aperature, etc  for taking photos with the DSLR. It seems when it comes down to it, the S7 produces better quality images and videos. Basically, I feel like i'm out $1500 for my Canon setup, anyone else run into the same experience?

I have invested in may cameras over the years, usually buying at the upper mid range. Each time I have made the jump to the newer technology, I have found that very shortly someone will come out with a better product with more features.  The same is true with computers, tablets and about everything technology.  I am now at a stage where I don't bother upgrading, until the product I have no longer will do what I bought it to do. I recently looked at some photos and videos which were taken with an I-6, using an upper end app that costs about $10 and the pictures blew me away.  I figure by the time I need to upgrade it will be an I-9 and the pics will be fully 3D... 

It's amazing what phones can do these days.  But... DSLR have a lot more features you can work with when taking the photos.  You definitely don't need the latest and greatest.  All my cameras have been used and they work wonders.

Also, I'd recommend Photoshop so you can edit photos as well.

The benefit of the DSLR is the control you get in your shooting.  I shoot everything in raw format and use bracketing and basic HDR to get the desired results in interior spaces.  You do need a good video editor.  Adobe Photoshop is great and I use it often, but I also find myself doing most of the editing I need in Lightroom.  You can get both programs at a reasonable subscription rate (I think $10/month) through the Adobe Creative Cloud.

Are you shooting in RAW or JPG?  If your're in shooting in JPG, it's like having a Ferrari, but never taking it out of first gear.  RAW files capture much more information, and give you a huge range to play with in post production software, such as Photoshop.  It's a time investment to learn, but worth it.

The DSLR will also let you get much wider images. For real estate pictures, I'd suggest a lens that can get as wide as about 16mm or so, which should allow you to stand in a doorway and capture just about the entire room, nearly wall to wall. (Although I must say that I did just Google the focal length of the S7, and it's 26mm, which isn't horrible and wider than I expected.)

Definitely agree with @Tyler Brown on shooting RAW and the need for a wide angle lens. Note that the actual width of the lens will vary depending on the size of the sensor. A full frame camera like the Canon EOS 5DS or the Nikon D5 will mimic the old 35mm size and a 16mm lens will look just as wide (extremely wide IMHO) on any camera with a full frame sensor or a 35mm film SLR. On cameras with a smaller sensor like the 70D any lens will result in less of a wide angle. For half frame cameras (I use a Nikon 7100) I recommend a wider lens like a 14mm. I use a high end 14mm prime (no zoom) lens and it works great for shooting home interiors. If interested in training on photography I highly recommend a subscription to Lynda.com.