Trying to get license in CA with misdemeanor

3 Replies

Hi all,

My name is Jason and I'm new to the forum. I'm someone that's looking to get my real estate license in CA. The only problem is that I have a misdemeanor on my record and I know that can be a reason for the board to deny my license application. I was wondering before I invest time into going through a class, is there anyway I can go through the background check to see if I will be denied?

This post has been removed.

Jason Chan wrote:  The only problem is that I have a misdemeanor on my record and I know that can be a reason for the board to deny my license application.

Jason, you are mistaken.  The CA Bureau of Real Estate doesn't deny licensure for misdemeanors; only (possibly) felonies.

http://www.dre.ca.gov/files/pdf/faqs/FAQ-RERAPS.pd...

Pertinent portion:

2. Q - Does CalBRE automatically deny the issuance of a license to an applicant with a criminal record? A - CalBRE may deny the issuance of a license to an applicant if he or she has been convicted of a substantially related crime. The same applies to the issuance of a license to a corporation, if an officer, director, or person owning or controlling 10 percent or more of the corporation’s stock has been convicted of a substantially related crime. CalBRE uses Criteria of Substantial Relationship to determine if a crime is substantially related to the qualifications, functions, and duties of a real estate licensee. As part of the CalBRE’s background investigation of applicants, the Bureau reviews all applicants’ criminal histories and determines if the applicant has committed any substantially related crime(s) which would serve as a basis for denial of the license. Additionally, pursuant to Section 485 of the Business and Professions Code, the bureau may deny an application for a license without first filing a Statement of Issues. However, when this occurs the applicant has 60 days from the date of the denial to request a hearing to contest the bureau’s denial.

@Jason Chan you can get a license but it will be restricted.

I had the same issue had a reckless driving which is a misdemeanor.

I was denied but repealed and won.

Before you apply hit me up. So i can give you tips on how to fill app.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here