Marketing New Agent

10 Replies

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone could offer some advice on how to market myself as a new agent. I don't want to scare any prospective clients away because I am new. I have been working with a Top producing real estate agent for a year now, but still worry being new will cause people to worry and lean away from me as an agent.

check out this article

and this podcast (not directly an answer, but useful nonetheless)

get business cards and go to all the REI meetings you can find. Then walk up to everyone and let them know that you're the person to go to for buying and selling properties.

positive attitude is usually the main thing you need to make it. 

simple things you can do. 

• get a gimmick (business card with your dog on it that stands out from the boring ones.)
  • maybe add that to a simple landing webpage. you don't need anything fancy, but a page that is reference on your card where they can fill a form or click on your email address to contact you.
  • have a catchy email address linked to your domain. Chelsie at ChelsieTheRealtor.com or Chelsie at ShinyNewHouses.com (both are available for $.99 from godaddy)

When you market yourself you generally don't start out by saying "Hi, I'm a new agent" but if it comes up in conversation you should reply that you are a new agent so you will be able to focus more on your clients needs than a realtor with a large book of business and if something comes up that you don't feel comfortable with you have the backing and knowledge of the top producer and/or broker.  My wife and I like to go to restaurants and sit at the bar, you'd be surprised at how much business you can get!

When you market yourself you generally don't start out by saying "Hi, I'm a new agent" but if it comes up in conversation you should reply that you are a new agent so you will be able to focus more on your clients needs than a realtor with a large book of business and if something comes up that you don't feel comfortable with you have the backing and knowledge of the top producer and/or broker.  My wife and I like to go to restaurants and sit at the bar, you'd be surprised at how much business you can get!

@Chelsie Runnings when you say market, are you specifically asking about print marketing? or do you just want to know how to get yourself known as the go-to agent?

If you just want to become known as the Go-to agent, I would suggest regularly attending local REIA meetings and learning the vocabulary. Get some deals under your belt and your reputation will grow among the group.

The only time the experience topic will come up is if you are projecting an image of a novice. I have found the best way to avoid that is to only speak about what you know about, listen the rest of the time :) hope that helps

When a surgeon graduates, he's ready to operate no? When a lawyer gets her diploma, she's ready to practice. You've got energy and hunger on your side that busy seasoned agents might not have. Also, check tomferry.com, he has fantastic free resources.

Thank you all for the advice. Great tips and words of wisdom. Just what I was needing. Ive had a few people, mostly my current co-workers outside of real estate mention that they know people who wouldn't use a new agent and it got me a little down and out, but all of your advice has helped reassure me and remind me that I have what it takes! I'll have to go to some bars and just chat with the others around me. Great Idea! We sure don't have a shortage of bars and wine bars around me. I've thrown myself heavily into community projects and clubs for a while now to get my name into peoples.

Hit the pavement hard! I have been having great success with open houses, door knocking, etc.  I recently sold a home from an open house, which everyone tells me is so rare... I also got a ton of leads this way.  The more you are involved and people see you out and in person the more likely you will get a strong lead.  I also would not let anyone know your new unless they specifically ask!!

Thank you. I have been co-hosting open houses for a couple months now, but I am now hosting my own open houses, and will also be taking on Floor time at our office. Congratulations on your recent sale!! That is so great!

You need a website. In such way you will give potential clients a place to find you on the Internet.

I would also recommend to start a professional real estate blog.But don’t forget that blog posts and other content from your website should appeared on your social media network.

Thank you @Brad Russo . I have a website in the process, and am very excited to launch. I have been looking into a blog as well. I am trying to compile content and ideas to have a consistent stream to work with. While I am so excited for this new career, I think I am finding myself having trouble with how to launch everything. But all this advice has been so helpful. :)

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.