Commercial vs Residential Agent?

5 Replies

I'm looking into redeveloping a property that is currently occupied as an unused health clinic but is zoning would allow for up to 14 units residential. I would build a multifamily residence on it. If this particular location doesn't work out, I'd look for other opportunities that may include looking for vacant land. So, do I need a commercial agent as a buyer agent or would a residential agent suffice? Thanks in advance.

You could go to either.  They should be able to tell you if your subject property is zoned for multi-family or not.   Depending on your county/city website, you can even look up the zoning for yourself to save time. 

Depends on how the property is zoned. The paperwork, process, and regulations are totally different between residential and commercial. A commercial agent would be totally lost in a residential deal and vice versa. Get an agent who specializes in whatever type of listing this is. Also double check the sale is for property and not business opportunity.
Originally posted by @Picka Pocketa:
Depends on how the property is zoned. The paperwork, process, and regulations are totally different between residential and commercial. A commercial agent would be totally lost in a residential deal and vice versa.

Get an agent who specializes in whatever type of listing this is.

Also double check the sale is for property and not business opportunity.

Well, it's currently a medical office bldg but I'm looking at building agency-conforming multifamily residential there.  It's zoning is a designation "Special Plan" which allow for either.  Here is the listing link: 

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Escondido/317-S-Juniper-...

SOunds like a great project.  AS a residential agent, I would refer to a commercial agent.  I would not know what I dont know in this situation, so I would not feel comfortable representing a buyer for a commercial deal . 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.