Part time Real estate Agent

5 Replies

Has anyone worked as a part time real estate agent. I would like to get selling houses but I don't wanna quit my 9-5 job. I would think that since most buyers have a 9-5 job, they would wanna meet after work and see a house. Has this been anyone's experience?

Thanks

Yes most people do want to see houses after hours but showing is just one small part of it. You have to meet inspectors, contractors, appraisers, attend closing, surveyors and stay in touch with lenders, etc. Most of these items are done during normal business hours. If your job is flexible then it's a good way to get started but if not it can be more difficult. I would suggest having a partner that can help you with those things. Good luck. 

I second @Maria McCreless because a lot of your success depends on your ability to respond quickly to enquiries. Lots of agents also spend a good bit of their time continually learning, studying properties on the market, taking classes to perfect their understanding of new laws (hello, smoke alarms in Maryland!!), and ... wait for it ... making a LOT of contacts to fill their pipeline. This industry is demanding, deals don't just land in your lap.

I wasn't sure I'd get into it full time, but for now I am, and I think it is a big challenge if you've got another job competing for your attention - especially at the beginning. Not impossible. But considerably harder.

Best of success to you!

You should consider joining a team that offers administrative support for part time agents.  I know a few great people in Missouri that I could introduce you to.

Originally posted by @Joe Norman :

You should consider joining a team that offers administrative support for part time agents.  I know a few great people in Missouri that I could introduce you to.

Please send me a private message.

Depending upon how much of a “networker” you are, you might want to consider going into a referral status. Most brokers have a referral agency that is separate, but works with their primary brokerage. For agents that associate with the referral agency, there usually is no board dues requirement. Technically, you are not actively working with clients, but you can refer people who are looking to buy or sell to an active agent and get a 25%-30% referral fee on any commissions generated. You would still need to meet the state’s CE requirements, but this is a great way to keep a license active (and reduce annual costs) for someone who is great at generating business, but either does not have the time or desire to work the business.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.