How are you using EDDM ?

12 Replies

Hello 

I am trying to do my first every door direct mail campaign. I would like to mail a letter or possibly a post card. Can someone please tell me the service they use for EDDM ?. I tired using USPS but it seems most reps dont know how to answer my questions properly. I was told by USPS that I cant use EDDM for letters but only packages ?. Can someone offer some advise ? , If you go through USPS do you have to stamp or address every piece manually ?.  I dont want to spend $200 if I wont be able to mail anything. 

I just used EDDM to send postcards to renters from a service called Prospect Plus. It was very reasonable and they have plenty of templates or you can create your own. You can also buy targeted lists from them at a really reasonable rate. You don’t do anything but place the order. They also send you the tracking from the USPS. Check them out.

Be aware that while the postage is cheap using EDDM, you don't have any segmentation. You can choose the "carrier routes", which are a partial zip code, based on the renter/homeowner % reported in the last census. You will be mailing to renters and homeowners with homes you might not want to buy.

@Kareem Lyons I almost went the direct mail route and was helped by a USPS Sales Representative in my county in Maryland. If you talk to your local postmaster they will be able to point you in the right direction for who can help you understand the EDDM procedure. Keep asking for different representatives until you get someone who is experienced- the first person I spoke to really wasn't much help but the second was very knowledgeable.

You can use USPS for postcards, I don't know about letters? USPS will handle all of the stamping and addressing. They use carrier routes that are already set up within their system.

As @Chrissy Arnold explained, this is more of a shotgun approach of marketing. It may cost less per mailing, but your mailing will be reaching many people who most likely aren't in your criteria- New Homeowners, Homeowners with no equity, expensive houses, houses that are too large etc etc.

I didn't go EDDM and chose to instead specifically target houses in my criteria- 3 to 4 bed 1 to 2 bath, under 2200SF, and homeowners with equity. I've come to realize if they don't have equity are you really going to be able to get a below market deal unless you work a short sale or foreclosure? But, then that entails more complications.

Originally posted by @Kelly Rambo :

I just used EDDM to send postcards to renters from a service called Prospect Plus. It was very reasonable and they have plenty of templates or you can create your own. You can also buy targeted lists from them at a really reasonable rate. You don’t do anything but place the order. They also send you the tracking from the USPS. Check them out.

absolutely I will , That sounds like what Im looking for. 

Originally posted by @Steve Bracero :

@Kareem Lyons

Do you have the postcards design yet?

Also consider how many touches you plan on running the EDDM. Is it monthly, quarterly, every 6 months? What is your goal with the 200$ monthly budget? 

thats the thing , I dont want to really do postcards but letters. I already mail postcards using my brokerages mailing service. The in house mailing service we use is mainly postcards and not hand written enveloped letters. I was under the impression that EDDM is different from just mailing postcards using a vicinity map. I planned to hit aleast $200 homes with the letter mailing. 

Originally posted by @Chrissy Arnold:

Be aware that while the postage is cheap using EDDM, you don't have any segmentation. You can choose the "carrier routes", which are a partial zip code, based on the renter/homeowner % reported in the last census. You will be mailing to renters and homeowners with homes you might not want to buy.

thats what I dont like about it 

Originally posted by @Ken Nyczaj :

@Kareem Lyons I almost went the direct mail route and was helped by a USPS Sales Representative in my county in Maryland. If you talk to your local postmaster they will be able to point you in the right direction for who can help you understand the EDDM procedure. Keep asking for different representatives until you get someone who is experienced- the first person I spoke to really wasn't much help but the second was very knowledgeable.

You can use USPS for postcards, I don't know about letters? USPS will handle all of the stamping and addressing. They use carrier routes that are already set up within their system.

As @Chrissy Arnold explained, this is more of a shotgun approach of marketing. It may cost less per mailing, but your mailing will be reaching many people who most likely aren't in your criteria- New Homeowners, Homeowners with no equity, expensive houses, houses that are too large etc etc.

I didn't go EDDM and chose to instead specifically target houses in my criteria- 3 to 4 bed 1 to 2 bath, under 2200SF, and homeowners with equity. I've come to realize if they don't have equity are you really going to be able to get a below market deal unless you work a short sale or foreclosure? But, then that entails more complications.

thats exactly what Im saying , Maybe I'll just need to go in office and speak with a USPS rep like you said. What sort of service are you using for your targeted mailings now ?. 

EDDM is very restrictive. ONLY postcards 

NO letters.

No mailing list to buy, but no names or addresses on the postcard either.

When the post office first came out with this, the list industry thought that this was the nail on the coffin after email. The only winner we could see was the printers. They got to print more of the over-sized post cards. (not sure the restrictions on size today, but in the beginning it was just big)

Well it turned out to NOT be such a great deal - unless of course you are a pizza restaurant who does want to get to everyone. And you are only sending out in your back yard.

There is no segmentation. The jeweler wants high income, the day care center wants families with children, the RE Investor wants homeowners likely to sell and homes within specific price ranges.

You also have to get the post cards delivered to the post office that does the delivery. Drop off in person or ship them (by ups? :-) And then hope that THAT post office has a clue. As it has already been inferred in this conversation, the training and knowledge of the program is severely lacking.

Well, the internet hasn't killed direct mail. Because it is effective. And EDDM hasn't killed the list industry. Because segmentation and personalization are important. (do you really want the renters calling up?) 

@Ken Nyczaj

Hey Ken,

Been following this thread and Im sitting in the same boat. I’m also manually processing my postcards and letters specifically to my target groups. Rather than the EMMD route, which would definitely be better for time and cost sakes but as you mentioned, its a long shot to reach your targets. Any luck on finding a reasonable business that provides this service?