Investor friendly brokerage in Virginia

2 Replies

My wife is currently working on getting her real estate license with the primary intention of aiding our own real estate investment activities.  Outside of our own purchases, we would only be potentially representing friends or family.  

We're looking for a brokerage that would be friendly to this and most cost effective.  In addition to any specific brokerages in the area (Stafford, Va and surrounding counties), any advice on terms of working with a brokerage?  I would imagine base case is a commission only arrangement, if possible.

Thanks for any input.

You should not necessarily look for the best on commission, but rather the one that will best train her.  Just read a story here in the forums in the last few days of a part time agent who lost $25,000 to a wiring scam because he had no idea what he was doing as an agent.  Once she becomes licensed she is 100% responsible for knowing everything there is to know about being an agent.  Luckily that individual only put their own money at risk instead of a clients.  There is hundreds of ways in being an agent to put your or your clients money at risk.  

Many of the big name brokerages will typically have good training.  Little no name places, there will be none.

Originally posted by @Brian C. :

My wife is currently working on getting her real estate license with the primary intention of aiding our own real estate investment activities.  Outside of our own purchases, we would only be potentially representing friends or family.  

We're looking for a brokerage that would be friendly to this and most cost effective.  In addition to any specific brokerages in the area (Stafford, Va and surrounding counties), any advice on terms of working with a brokerage?  I would imagine base case is a commission only arrangement, if possible.

Thanks for any input.

What @Russell Brazil said..  !! 

Your wife's focus should be on education. Once you educate yourself to the extent that you won't make costly mistakes, and do lot of things on your own with maybe little bit of help/guidance, then you can think of moving to a discount/ investor friendly brokerage.  I was with Weichert Realtors for 2 yrs.  They are pricey, but good.  LnF is also good brokerage. I have heard good things about KW as well.  Good luck. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here