Selling houses in the winter?

2 Replies

Does the housing market's amount of sales decline significantly during winter months? I live in southern Idaho where it's very cold and snowy and I'm concerned that it will affect sales if I decide to become an agent soon. Should I wait until spring so I'm not placed into a poor sales market with no experience?
Originally posted by @Landon Belk :
Does the housing market's amount of sales decline significantly during winter months? I live in southern Idaho where it's very cold and snowy and I'm concerned that it will affect sales if I decide to become an agent soon. Should I wait until spring so I'm not placed into a poor sales market with no experience?

Why wait? 

Just don't quit your day job until you have the level of leads and experience to make a living. From the time you get your first listing, it is usually about 6 months to your first paycheck and usually on a $300,000 sale you will get about 1/4 of 6% or about $4,500 and you need to do one or two of those a month to make it worthwhile as a real estate agent.

@Landon Belk The past few years has not slowed down much at all. My wife is an agent in SE Idaho and usually keeps pretty busy during winter as well. there are less homes for sell but there are still buyers looking. It would actually be a good time to start marketing so that you get some momentum for when Spring starts so you can have some clients ready to go.