Becoming an agent in Honolulu?

3 Replies

Hello BP, I’m a recent graduate in economics and I’ve been studying RE investing for years. However right now what I need is a career, my girlfriend and I are living in Kona, HI doing a work trade (that’s how we moved here from the east coast). I’m interested in becoming a realtor, and have been studying RE InvestIng for years and I think I could be successful. However I don’t know anyone here and I’m not sure where to start. I’m also unsure if Honolulu is a reasonable place to start. Any and all feedback is great, any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance, Nate Christensen
@Nathan Christensen , I own several properties in Kauai. If you’re looking for a career in HIGH demand I’d suggest the following: 1. Get your RE license (but not for the reason you’re thinking) 2. Maintain it for 5 years, in the meantime... 3. Become on island contacts for all us “out of state” investors. Every rental needs one. 4. Start a business to support short term vacation rentals 5. Handle the maintenance, cleanings, and on island support for others. I pay $250-275 per 3 bedroom condo per cleanIng, 4x a month and each cleaning is probably 3-4 hours. You could even farm it out. 6. Consider being a co host 7. After 5 years of RE license become a broker, then get your property management license and take what you’ve built to th next level. Good on island contacts are nearly impossible to come by... you’ll grow like a weed. While this isn’t traditional RE path, you can acquire condos as you grow and become both the investor and the support for others. Additionally, as a HI resident you qualify for loans which us mainlanders don’t.. and they’re very good loans. You’ll be rich in no time.

@Nathan Christensen I am a licensed realtor with Honolulu board. You don't need to take the licensing courses if you have certain business and law courses. See if you meet the requirement and get an exemption. You can sit for the test by paying $50 or so. Once you have the license you can decide to activate or stay inactive. I did the same, had bachelor in business so sat for the test and now love my profession. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Originally posted by @Mike V. :
@Nathan Christensen, I own several properties in Kauai. If you’re looking for a career in HIGH demand I’d suggest the following:

1. Get your RE license (but not for the reason you’re thinking) 2. Maintain it for 5 years, in the meantime... 3. Become on island contacts for all us “out of state” investors. Every rental needs one. 4. Start a business to support short term vacation rentals 5. Handle the maintenance, cleanings, and on island support for others. I pay $250-275 per 3 bedroom condo per cleanIng, 4x a month and each cleaning is probably 3-4 hours. You could even farm it out. 6. Consider being a co host 7. After 5 years of RE license become a broker, then get your property management license and take what you’ve built to th next level.

Good on island contacts are nearly impossible to come by... you’ll grow like a weed. While this isn’t traditional RE path, you can acquire condos as you grow and become both the investor and the support for others. Additionally, as a HI resident you qualify for loans which us mainlanders don’t.. and they’re very good loans.

You’ll be rich in no time.

That's an awesome suggestion. I was recently in Virginia and only recently moved out to Oahu and am pursuing my license as well. I had a property here and ran into issues finding a reliable PM. I originally rented my own unit out and did all of the marketing and found a tenant in under 2 weeks. Took them 2 and a half months. I always planned on working towards PM but after that happened I realized I can do it better than them. Please feel free to reach out to myself if you need a runner on Oahu and I have family in Kauai Mike and plan on investing in Lihue, myself so feel free to reach out. I'd love to learn from both of you guys but I'd love to be a reliable contact for you both.