Can i be a real estate agent?

8 Replies

Im 17 and in highschool (about to enter Senior year) and i want to be a Real Estate Agent. My question is if people can go from being a High school student to being a RE Agent? And also im not a U.S Citizen, does that affect my ability to be a RE agent?

@Oswaldo Rendon  To be eligible to become a licensed real estate salesperson or agent, you must: Be at least 18 or 19 years old (depends on the state) Have legal US residency. Complete your required prelicense education (differs from state to state). Good Luck! 

@Oswaldo Rendon ,

I am currently studying to be a Real Estate Agent. I bought the online program based on several great reviews online. Real Estate Express is the name of it. BUT I just saw someone's post on BiggerPockets yesterday and they said to specifically not go with it. So I'll see how I like it. You should be able to find a solid online or in-class program. And, as long as you meet the state's requirements, as @Amy Aziz said, you should haven't that difficult of a time. Do you care to share what your long-term goals are you intend to pursue that involve becoming a Real Estate Agent? I don't want to sell homes, I want to buy and invest in them. The only reason I want to become one is to better-understand the process. 

@Oswaldo Rendon ,

I would assume, like most, that you want to enjoy the financial benefit of having assets that others are paying for while making money on the side from the properties. Right?

Yeah we can definitely stay in touch. Send a colleague request (I think that's what it's called) on my profile and I'll keep you posted on how it goes. It will probably take me 2 months or so to finish studying and preparing. Then I'll take the test in 3-4 months. That's the plan, at least.

@Oswaldo Rendon ,

I estimate that I'll complete it quickly because I've learned a lot through my experience in the business world and have already been studying law, accounting, and business operations. So the material will be new but much of it should be simple for me to understand. I can't say for certain it'll take you just a few months. But as long as you meet the requirements and devote serious time to studying it, I bet you can knock it out quicker than you'd think.