Which is the better choice? Which program?

2 Replies

I have been on the forums before wanting to get into real estate investing, but after a ton of advice--it seems like I should wait until after school. There are two things that fell into my lap though. Two options for my masters here at Texas A&M. The first program is called the PPA program and it allows you to get your bachelors in accounting and your masters in Finance as well as your CPA in only 5 years. The other option is A&M Masters in Real Estate program which is supposed to be one of the best. I don't know which one I would want to do. There are definitely perks from both, but I also feel like you do not really need a Masters in Real Estate to be good at it. Which one do you guys think is better?

Originally posted by @Preston Curling :

I have been on the forums before wanting to get into real estate investing, but after a ton of advice--it seems like I should wait until after school. There are two things that fell into my lap though. Two options for my masters here at Texas A&M. The first program is called the PPA program and it allows you to get your bachelors in accounting and your masters in Finance as well as your CPA in only 5 years. The other option is A&M Masters in Real Estate program which is supposed to be one of the best. I don't know which one I would want to do. There are definitely perks from both, but I also feel like you do not really need a Masters in Real Estate to be good at it. Which one do you guys think is better?

Some number way north of 80% of Realtors fail within 2 years, just like any/all other new enterprises. 

I'm sure that you have lots of reasons to think you are amazing and bound to be in that 20%, but you need to hedge against the possibility that you're one of the 80% of persons who lacks the right mix of good and bad personality traits to make it as a self employed person. 

The former program comes with finance qualifications and you're a CPA at the end. So you have 3 possible uses for the degree in question (4 if you count teaching at community college), rather than 0-1 uses. That's the best bet.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here