College Student Real Estate Agent

7 Replies

I’m a 22 year old college student at the University of Arkansas and I’m currently pursuing my bachelors in Finance with a concentration in Real Estate. I work for a local Real Estate company as an assistant to the founder by helping him find investment properties and he said that he wants me to get my license now.

I would continue to work for my boss 15 hours a week (he’s very flexible so I can put in my 15 hours whenever) and I’d work 25+ on my personal stuff. I only have one afternoon class from like 3 to 4 twice a week. I’m just trying to figure out whether or not it’s worth it for me to get my license at this point.

I’m super driven, have good soft skills, understand real estate relatively well (have tons to learn), I’m just concerned that my age will be a barrier and that I won’t get a good shot in my last semester to make a sale.

I will likely be moving after this semester to another city, but would it still be worth it to get my license and try to make a sale or two while I’m still here?

Thanks for any feedback!!

Hey Zach, 

I am not sure how it is in Arkansas but in Ohio its pretty expensive to maintain your license its about 2,000$ a year. This does not include the money you need to self market yourself and the gas money driving around everywhere. I know when I was in college I probably would not be able to afford that. If you are a full-time student I would focus on your studies but if you notice you have alot of free time, it may be worth it. 

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. 

If your boss is willing to cover most or all of the costs of obtaining your license and you expect to remain in Arkansas after graduation, you should strongly consider it.  We own a real estate investment firm in Central Arkansas, and it is important to us that our assistant have a real estate license to make sure that we stay on the safe side of Arkansas real estate license law.  Having your license opens up more things that you can do for the company without violating the law.  I agree with Ivy about the expense of obtaining and maintaining a license, and it's unlikely that I would have tried to do that at my own expense while I was in undergrad.  If your boss is willing to cover most or all of the costs, regardless of whether you make a sale this semester, it would be excellent experience and would give you an advantage when it comes time to interview in your chosen field.  Best of luck!

Originally posted by @Zach Hall :

I’m a 22 year old college student at the University of Arkansas and I’m currently pursuing my bachelors in Finance with a concentration in Real Estate. I work for a local Real Estate company as an assistant to the founder by helping him find investment properties and he said that he wants me to get my license now.

I would continue to work for my boss 15 hours a week (he’s very flexible so I can put in my 15 hours whenever) and I’d work 25+ on my personal stuff. I only have one afternoon class from like 3 to 4 twice a week. I’m just trying to figure out whether or not it’s worth it for me to get my license at this point.

I’m super driven, have good soft skills, understand real estate relatively well (have tons to learn), I’m just concerned that my age will be a barrier and that I won’t get a good shot in my last semester to make a sale.

I will likely be moving after this semester to another city, but would it still be worth it to get my license and try to make a sale or two while I’m still here?

Thanks for any feedback!!

If your goal is to stay with this guy and build a business then yes, getting your license would make sense. If you're moving out soon then no, don't get licensed. You don't need your license unless you're planning on selling a lot of real estate and starting a sales business. 

@Zach Hall Do not do it unless you will stay in state. It might be worth it if you plan to practice real estate sales in the state you move to and that state has reciprocity with Arkansas.

@Zach Hall

I’m going to suggest a couple different tactics as others have mentioned. I would approach your boss and definitely ask for help on getting/maintaining/paying for your RE education and license. If he is pursuing you in that way I bet he would be willing to take a chance.

Everyone mentioned marketing yourself and the cost of that. Man, you are in the BEST area of Arkansas at the BEST time of your life. People are getting married, having kids, etc and you are their age and you can build that trust now in between the hallways. I would be sporting a Real Estate collared shirt every.single.day. knowing that I could be the focal point for these fellow students for starting their lives. Develop your social media and talk it, that’s how you get ahead and cost nothing but time.

Best of luck and if you need anything more specific, let me know. I’m in the Central AR area but I’ll be up there for baseball season!

Cory Cox

Just go for it, especially if your boss will bear the expense. Lots of agents hold licenses in multiple states, and here's your chance to get started. Expand your network, help some folks find their first home, you'll be hooked. Go for it! 

I'm in agent in NWA, and i'd be happy to chat in more detail. Based on what you've written, I'd say it's probably not worth getting the license just to hopefully close a deal before you move away, unless you are staying in Arkansas and plan to keep selling real estate. If you're hoping to make a bit more money, find a few more deals for your boss and ask him if he can pay you a finder's fee as an extra bonus. Just a thought. Good luck!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here