Skip to content
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Kelvin Letron Brantley
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fort Mill, SC
Votes |
Aspiring Real Estate Agent working for Wealth Mngmt Firm (HELP)

Kelvin Letron Brantley
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fort Mill, SC
Posted Jul 12 2020, 14:12

Hello BP Family,

I just started a position at a wealth management firm. Now I'm told by my compliance department that I CAN be licensed as a real estate agent, but I can't have any active listings. Not only that, I have to have my real estate investing activity approved by the compliance department. I just started the new position and it's one that I have been searching for a long time with great salary, benefits, and pension (which is unheard of these days). I had always planned to do my real estate activity on the side as additional income to assist in building my retirement and help pay for my kids college expenses. I also wanted to get my license to gain access to the MLS and be able to participate in certain transactions that I would normally not be able to as an unlicensed investor.

My question is: 

Is there anyone else in this type of situation where you are working with a company that prohibits certain real estate transaction activity?  If so, what are ways you are using your license while investing part-time?  Will I be able to find a company to hang my license with if I'm not able to list homes for a seller?

I realize that there may be few people here in the BiggerPockets family that fit this category, but if you are dealing with this yourself, or if you know of anyone going through this, I would greatly appreciate any input you could provide.

Thanks!

Loading replies...