Creating a Personal Brand as an Agent

22 Replies

Here is my question: My name is Nick Boring, I wanted to name my company/website TheBoringRealtor, or something like that. But I have been getting some negative feedback because you know... the name might have a negative connotation to it. My whole life my last time has been an icebreaker in all sorts of conversations, and it honestly makes a lot of people laugh. I really think having a unique and memorable business name is valuable, but I would also hate to have it hurt me in the long run. What do you guys think? Some more random info below.

I'm a new agent/investor (5 months) and I want to start creating my personal brand. I have been cold calling and sending out mailers, lots of people are asking for business cards and that they wanted to see reviews on my website and general things like that. I am listed under one of my mentor's friend's brokerage, mostly because I am only doing this part-time for now (I am an engineer 10 hours a day), and he said I could put my license under him. He charges me have a point for buyers and sellers. 

I appreciate your feedback and I am grateful to be able to ask experts for some much-needed advice!

Thanks,

NotsoBoringNick

Originally posted by @Nick Boring :

Here is my question: My name is Nick Boring, I wanted to name my company/website TheBoringRealtor, or something like that. But I have been getting some negative feedback because you know... the name might have a negative connotation to it. My whole life my last time has been an icebreaker in all sorts of conversations, and it honestly makes a lot of people laugh. I really think having a unique and memorable business name is valuable, but I would also hate to have it hurt me in the long run. What do you guys think? Some more random info below.

I'm a new agent/investor (5 months) and I want to start creating my personal brand. I have been cold calling and sending out mailers, lots of people are asking for business cards and that they wanted to see reviews on my website and general things like that. I am listed under one of my mentor's friend's brokerage, mostly because I am only doing this part-time for now (I am an engineer 10 hours a day), and he said I could put my license under him. He charges me have a point for buyers and sellers. 

I appreciate your feedback and I am grateful to be able to ask experts for some much-needed advice!

Thanks,

NotsoBoringNick

I like it a lot.  I would lead with your name then add The Boring Realtor.  This way people know Boring is actually your last name.

If you need a referral for design and print I know some people.

Good luck and have a good one.

I do agree with the feedback you've received on "TheBoringRealtor" - it creates a subconscious distaste. I understand the angle, but would suggest you make it part of a tagline rather than your business name. Brand yourself to build client confidence in your professionalism.
I'm currently working through my own branding, so I know the struggle. Maybe lean into the engineering or just keep it simple. RealEstateEngineered, RE-engineered, NickBoringRE, RealtorNick, etc.

I think it's a great name and you should take advantage. It sounds like you've already been doing that your entire life so you probably have some pretty good catch phrases. I would play off that.

"The Boring REALTOR" will catch their attention, they'll see it's your actual name, they'll internally chuckle, and then they'll remember you longer than the other 600 agents with cliche crap like "Your REALTOR for Life" or "Your (City Name) real estate expert!"

Go for it!

Hi @Nick Boring , I'm sorry but I have to agree with people who said it was a bad idea, I really think it is - I do have a suggestion, but first to explain why I think 'boring realtor' is not a great idea:

They say a top rule in marketing is to prioritize being clear over being clever. Here the goal of being clever results in a very clear message that you are boring. I personally don't like to be bored and am certain I would be less likely to call someone called The Boring Realtor - whether subconsciously or not - it doesn't matter, it's a call you don't get. And most people would tell you I do definitely have a sense of humor. 

HOWEVER - why don't you work with "the NOT boring realtor" as a catchphrase? You could do a lot with it, it's totally memorable, helps people remember your name, it has a positive message and also shows you have a sense of humor. 

The 'boring realtor' message comes across like 'I'm sorry, you're stuck with me' whereas 'not boring' tells me this person has a sense of fun, is not boring, and knows how to laugh at himself. I would be way more likely to call you.

Plus you could do all kinds of things with it in a marketing sense, showing yourself doing real estate (or even other stuff) in a humorous, maybe slightly off the wall and definitely not boring way. Fantastic branding opportunity.

Hope this was helpful, good luck either way.

PS. This might be overkill but I can't stress enough how much I think you should NOT go with the 'boring realtor' thing. Another great rule of marketing is 'first do no harm'. Also about NAR, I don't think you can use 'realtor' in a website name but other words would work fine. If agents are brokers in your state like they are in WA you could do 'the not boring broker'.

@Nick Boring I think its fantastic.  Every sign I see for a new Realtor looks exactly like every other Realtor's sign.  The Boring Realtor sticks in your head and people will remember it.  The fact that it is actually your last name makes it even better.  I would 100% ride that wave. 

Also if you decide to go with your original version, I would recommend first asking actual consumers, not agents, what they think is best. They are the ones who decide how good your marketing is, not by what they say but what they do.

So if in doubt, create a survey using a free survey tool and send it out to 50 or 100 or however many people you know that you can, and ask them to click on the first name that appeals to them out of just two choices, 'TheBoringAgent.com' or 'TheNotBoringAgent.com', for example. 

Tell them a marketing person gave you two ideas and you're testing them out, so they're not afraid to hurt your feelings.

No matter what we think we know as agents when it comes to marketing, it's how our target market responds that tells us what we really need to know.

They say a top rule in marketing is to prioritize being clear over being clever.

Disagree - I think the first rule is to get people's attention.

Especially when every broker ad I hear "clearly" states what a great broker they are.

I love the idea, it's unique and stands out from the crowd, and I'm sure you can have a lot of fun with it.  But as you can see from these responses not everyone agrees. This should give you pause to do more research.  Although some think it's clever, you don't want it to significantly impact your success.

First, the term "Realtor" is copyrighted and it is unlawful to use as part of your company name, it also requires the ® symbol when used.  Try variations; The Not Boring Agent, The Non-Boring Agent, etc.  

I agree with the suggestion of running a survey with variations.  When we run ads it's important to run to same ad with slight differences to see which generates more leads.  I believe it more important to survey your company name - it's your brand.  The name of your business has a tremendous impact on how customers view you.  Allow your target market to vote and comment to see if the name resonates.  This also allows you to see if people have any negative reactions or confusion around the name.

Again, I love the idea, but that's me.  Do your surveys and let us know what you decide to go with.

"I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right."

I would do it. Who wants a drama filled, high action transaction that's hanging on a thread through the whole process? Nobody, they want a nice boring transaction.

Just a personal suggestion "YOUR BORING REALTOR®" VS "THE". It automatically assigns you to them. People may start saying "Oh let me get you the number to My Boring REALTOR®"

Just my 2 cents although with the coin shortage it may have more value now :P

Originally posted by @Mike Cumbie :

"I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right."

I would do it. Who wants a drama filled, high action transaction that's hanging on a thread through the whole process? Nobody, they want a nice boring transaction.

I like it!!!  "I'm Boring, because I'm good."

Seriously @Nick Boring , you're asking the wrong people. :) ASK YOUR TARGET MARKET!!! :) :) Smiley faces to show I'm not trying to be obnoxious but yes I am yelling, in a hopefully friendly way.

The answer you are seeking lies with your target market, not with agents. This is why companies who spend millions on marketing track ad response, because until they put it out there to their market they don't know which ads will perform better and that is all that counts, regardless of what the experts in their marketing department think is the best ad.

I've come up with a couple of marketing ideas in the past that when I ran it by some clients and friends for feedback they just had to say 'nope'. I'm really glad now that they did.

Recommend creating that simple survey, don't say which version you like best, just ask your people to pick the one they're most prompted to click on.

And if you post back here with results please tag me because I'd be interested to hear what they said. Good luck.

I am also an agent and investor and I love the idea. it will help you stand out and be remembered. Which is great in a sea of a million other realtors. Once they see your name is actualy BORING it wont be looked at as a negative.

@Nick Boring

People have a perception that agents are flashy, crazy, obnoxious, salesy and in your face which many are. People who are obnoxious and in your face annoy me so I think "The Boring Realtor" is great in targeting a niche that hates obnoxious Realtors.

"WELCOME TO MY OPEN HOUSE!!!!!!!!!" Instagram stories. I can't stand obnoxious people.

I think you have enough opinions in here from agents so just throwing out my tech knowledge side of things. I would highly recommend picking up the domains you are interested in (the web address - like biggerpockets.com) before someone else sees this idea and takes it from under you.

Zero affiliation - just personal preference: Google Domains are $12/year. I buy lots of domains that I have a business plan for then if I don't use it I don't renew the next year. Only out $12. Hope this