House hacking my first du/triplex in the Sacramento, Ca area

8 Replies

My wife and I are making a great income with a lot of savings built up. We work in the school system, which comes with some great investment perks from the govt. In talking to a loan provider, we could easily qualify for a 600k loan. We are finally looking at buying our first house; we want to house hack with a duplex or triplex. We would love to start with a BRRRR property, but I don't know if this is too much to take on as a newbie (though we are extremely ambitious and persistant). East and West Sac seem very promising, but we're totally open to learning more from a knowledgeable person about the best areas to look at. I'm also looking for an invester from the Sacramento area who can give us some pointers. We're looking to make this a win-win situation and help the investor to find good deals that help us learn in the process. If you are either of these people or know either of these people, I would really appreciate any help in getting in contact.

Hi, Brian!

Congratulations on pursuing your first home!

There are quite a bit of opportunity area's in the Sacramento area. It all comes down to the numbers you are looking for. East Sacramento does have quite a few duplexes near Elvas Ave and would be easier to rent out due to the neighborhood but you will be paying a premium, however, West Sacramento is closer to downtown and has an up and coming neighborhood feel. If you are looking for a bit better cash on cash return, I would recommend taking a look more north east near Arden area as they seem to have more rooms (can find 3 bedroom 2 bath duplexes) around the same price as duplexes that are near the the Sacramento grid and can ask for a bit more in rent.

@Brian Sherman house hacking is the way to go , a duplex or triplex can provide the opportunity to you and your wife to learn as you go in a “relatively” safe starting point. Working with a number of clients in sac who are looking for the same thing you need to consider for yourself what numbers are you comfortable with paying IN FULL in the event you have vacancy , also consider what costs would be to get it property managed as well, if neighbors know the owners right next door they can come knocking at any given hour. Trust me :)

Let me know if I can be of service I’m an agent and active flipper here in the area

@Britton Taylor Thanks for the tip. When you recommended that Arden area, were you referring more so to single family homes (stating that I can get more rooms for higher rent and same price as duplex)? Are you saying that I would be better off renting out a portion of a single family home and living in the other part? Remember that I want to house hack. However, if there is more money to be made in this type of strategy, then I'm definitely interested. 

@DJ Dawson We are very confident that we can pay for the full price of the mortgage payment and operating expenses if we have a vacancy. After all, this is the same thing as if we were living in a single family unit. Tell me a little more about your investment experiences both personally, and as an agent. 

@Brian Sherman No problem! When I say more rooms I mean per side of the duplex. An example would be 2736 Hurley Way, Sacramento, CA 95864 Which sold not to long ago in the Arden area. One side was a 3 bedroom 2 bath and the other was a 2 bedroom 2 bath. If you are looking to house hack in that example, you could rent out the 3bedroom side because it would bring in more income and live in the 2 bedroom side. When you start looking in areas closer to downtown, you don't see very many 3 bedroom 2 baths. They are usually 1 bedroom 1 bath or 2 bedroom 1 bath. I hope that makes sense. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!

@DJ Dawson We are very confident that we can pay for the full price of the mortgage payment and operating expenses if we have a vacancy. After all, this is the same thing as if we were living in a single family unit. Tell me a little more about your investment experiences both personally, and as an agent. 

Beautiful. I am a full time flipper and agent here in Sac like I mentioned, 3 flips this year with 1 active one currently. As an agent I tend to pride myself on educating clients and working specifically with investors to find cash flowing assets (many times out of state through my network) its been a good ride!