How to contact Expired listing owner?

18 Replies

Hi BP,

I have heard/read many people in the industry recommending to look at the list of Expired listing and reach out to the owner. However, no one ever mention how someone can get a hold of the contact information (phone) number of the owner to reach out to them. Is contacting through mail the only other alternative?

Thanks,
Khoa

Originally posted by @Daniel J Cano :

skip tracing may work (although not 100% of the time) you'll need first and last name, plus the address. I've found several off market deals that way. 

Hi Daniel,

I can find the name and address off of the expired listing no problem. When you said Skip Tracing is that a software that I can use? Sorry I am new at this.

Thanks,
Khoa Ha

Promotion
Vacasa
Vacation Rental Property Management
We do the work. You get the ROI.
We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.
Free income estimate
Originally posted by @Khoa Ha :
Originally posted by @Daniel J Cano:

skip tracing may work (although not 100% of the time) you'll need first and last name, plus the address. I've found several off market deals that way. 

Hi Daniel,

I can find the name and address off of the expired listing no problem. When you said Skip Tracing is that a software that I can use? Sorry I am new at this.

Thanks,
Khoa Ha

No problem! You can google "skip tracing software" I use BatchSkiptracing. It's $0.20 per skip trace. But use code "WIN" to save $.04 Good luck! Let me know if you find a fixer in OC ;) We have several fix and flips in progress right now, and we could use a few more before the end of the year! We are getting ready to list one later this week.

Hi @Daniel J Cano ,

That great. My team and I are in the process of opening up our own Real Estate Brokerage and this tool will allow us to target the sellers that had a bad experience with another firm. Thanks for the help. What city are your fixer in?

Thanks,
Khoa

Originally posted by @Khoa Ha :

Hi @Daniel J Cano,

That great. My team and I are in the process of opening up our own Real Estate Brokerage and this tool will allow us to target the sellers that had a bad experience with another firm. Thanks for the help. What city are your fixer in?

Thanks,
Khoa

Anywhere in OC. Our office is in Mission Viejo, but we only want to stick with the OC market when flipping.

Thanks!

Dan C.

I am the owner of an expired listing. Listed a house, had few buyers immediately but appraisal came in low, so I decided to take it off market and keep it as a rental. For 2+ years now I have constantly annoying agents calling me. Very annoying. There seem to be tons of agents calling expired listing sellers. Good luck! 🤞 

There are several skip tracing companies that can assist you getting the numbers (landline, wireless and even email addresses) for the property owners. Look into a company that doesn't have a require monthly subscription as well as excellent customer service to walk you through the process of skip tracing a list of addresses if you have any questions along the way.

Originally posted by @Jim Spatzenfeld :

I am the owner of an expired listing. Listed a house, had few buyers immediately but appraisal came in low, so I decided to take it off market and keep it as a rental. For 2+ years now I have constantly annoying agents calling me. Very annoying. There seem to be tons of agents calling expired listing sellers. Good luck! 🤞 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the insight. I guess as soon as you put your information out there the cold calling will start coming in. I hope to be mindful and will only target recent expire listings. Not something that expired a few years ago since with that time gap the chance of the owner waiting to sell is close to 0. 

Thanks,
Khoa

Originally posted by @Bruce Lynn :

Look at a company like landvoice and they probably give you the numbers.

Probably not many expired right now though....seems like everything sells.

Hi Bruce, 

Thanks for the response. It might be that in your market but I am in Orange County California and there are still agent out there that list the property overprice. I guess the agent wasn't been honest with the owner and just list at inflated price just to land the listing in the first place. 

Thanks,
Khoa

Originally posted by @Jp Kilduff :

There are several skip tracing companies that can assist you getting the numbers (landline, wireless and even email addresses) for the property owners. Look into a company that doesn't have a require monthly subscription as well as excellent customer service to walk you through the process of skip tracing a list of addresses if you have any questions along the way.

Thanks @Jp Kilduff I have started using batchskiptracing referred by @Daniel J Cano and it seems to be really good so far. I dont think they have a minimum requirement for their service. If the company turn out to be good Ill probably train my agents to use it too. 

Thanks,
Khoa

Promotion
Ashcroft Capital
A national multifamily investment firm
Three Reasons Investors May Prefer Real Estate
Read three reasons why investing in real estate private placements may provide several advantages.
Read More Here

@Khoa Ha You’re not looking for regular skip tracing companies.  There are a few companies, Redx probably being the most popular, (just google it up)that specifically provide owners of expired listing information, to real estate agents. Be aware, these owners probably receive a dozen calls the morning after a listing expires.  These leads are not low hanging fruit, and the agents that have any success at all are very aggressive...it’s a tough sell.  I never had any interest in them.

Most agents/brokers know all about these services.

Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks :

@Khoa Ha You’re not looking for regular skip tracing companies.  There are a few companies, Redx probably being the most popular, (just google it up)that specifically provide owners of expired listing information, to real estate agents. Be aware, these owners probably receive a dozen calls the morning after a listing expires.  These leads are not low hanging fruit, and the agents that have any success at all are very aggressive...it’s a tough sell.  I never had any interest in them.

Most agents/brokers know all about these services.

Thank you Wayne, I will check them out. Cold calling is new to me but my short term goal is to step out of my comfort zone and do things that I know I need to do but have been afraid to do. 

Thanks,

Khoa

Originally posted by @Peter Mckernan :

@Khoa Ha I have and still use Mojo Dialer and they give phone and emails (sometimes). You can use Property Radar to get their info and Spokeo 

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the information. I will keep them in mind when my business is up and running. Right now I only need to call the seller personally to build up my confident. I think this will help me to have the confident when coming into a listing appointment too. 

Thanks,

Khoa

Go to your local assesors office for your county, you can google it as well. Call, email or go to their office, they'll usually let you use their computers to look up property owner information in your city/ county. Then you should use some kind of skip tracing service to get more detailed information about the property owner, 1-3 emails, his or her real name, emails and hopefully a real address, they may have another address or have their property under an LLC or trust. I currently use LeadSherpa for my skip tracing service. After you get this information you can contact them however you like.

Originally posted by @Michael Williams :

Go to your local assesors office for your county, you can google it as well. Call, email or go to their office, they'll usually let you use their computers to look up property owner information in your city/ county. Then you should use some kind of skip tracing service to get more detailed information about the property owner, 1-3 emails, his or her real name, emails and hopefully a real address, they may have another address or have their property under an LLC or trust. I currently use LeadSherpa for my skip tracing service. After you get this information you can contact them however you like.

Thank you Michael. I actually have my broker license so I have access to the tax record and the owner names. I have started using the skip trace program to look up a few names already. 

Thanks,

Khoa