I need to fire my dad!

2 Replies

Okay, I don't really need to fire my dad, but lets face it, we all face the difficult challenge of firing friends and family. If you have a Realtor in the family, or a contractor, an attorney etc. Chances are they are not going to be the best suited for your needs. As a REI, you are going to require some of the best professionals in the field. Who have you had to fire, and why? How did it work out? Maybe you have used friends and family with success. Please share.

Thank you for your time?

Had to fire the brother in law as my contractor. 

He's be on again off again as my contractor over the years. Just seems to lose interest in working as a contractor. I doubt I would have fired him myself. 

But the final straw came about a year ago. My wife was wanting to get in and paint the house but he was dragging out this rehab like nobody's business.  Should have been about a 3 week rehab and he was going into month 3.   Finally, my wife told him that he needed to get the drywall work done that weekend so she could paint and so we could get the house rented.

He actually came back with something like he can't believe he's being asked to take time away from his family like that.  All because he spent about 5 hours on a saturday. This after falling about 6 or 7 weeks behind what it should have taken him to get to that point.

That was all it took. My wife wanted me to fire him that day. She was incensed that his lack of effort was costing us money and the fact that his time was too important to work a saturday when we've been pulling weekend work for the past few years and he wouldn't be making money doing the rehab work if we didn't.  As if our time wasn't as important.

So that was it. I kept him til he finished. And found two other crews that are 10 times faster, do better work, and are actually cheaper to boot. 

I think part of it really came down to him just not being into contracting any more. After that rehab, he ended up going to satellite dish installs and seems a lot more engaged than he was doing the rehab stuff there for us at the end.

At the end of the day, it worked out fine for us. There are no hard feelings. If anything, I think it was the best decision for both of us. He's doing something that he prefers now and we are getting more work done at a better quality for less money. 

Originally posted by @Mike H. :

So that was it. I kept him til he finished. And found two other crews that are 10 times faster, do better work, and are actually cheaper to boot. 

Even if you paid more, it would cost you less. 3 months is unacceptable, and you loose possibly thousands on lost rent, holding costs, PITI.

I am glad it all worked out for you.

Thank you for sharing.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here