• Business Metrics Analyst
  • Cornelius, NC
Votes |
Any FHA Appraisers Here? Need help determining Unit or ADU

Matthew Jones
  • Business Metrics Analyst
  • Cornelius, NC
Posted May 16 2017, 15:45

Are there any FHA appraisers here? I am trying to solve an appraisal issue that is holding me back from closing on a property I have under contract.

I had the property appraised, and everything went well until the appraiser classified the garage apartment as an ADU. The property is a Duplex with a LARGE detached garage and an equally large apartment above the garage. Because the appraiser classified the detached structure as an ADU, I can find no traditional financing options.

I believe it should be considered just an additional unit, and not an ADU.

Below are my arguments for it being considered just another unit, and not an ADU.

- All three units (Both sides of Duplex and garage apartment) all have separate addresses and completely separate water and electric meters.

- The county has the property listed as a Duplex-Triplex and the land use is Multi Family

- The Garage/apartment adds significant value in my opinion. The Duplex itself is a total of 2,128 sq ft so ~1,064 sq ft per side. The garage and apartment have a total sq footage of 1,824 with 888 sq ft being the apartment. This to me seems that all units are of similar size and quality. 

- The appraisal also neglects to value the garage portion of the building, which I believe is misguided. I believe that there are many motorsports enthusiasts that would pay good money to rent the apartment and all of the garages, as they are currently not rented to anyone.

I am glad to answer any other questions or add any other details.

Can anyone help shed some light on this? Can the appraiser revise the appraisal to call it a triplex and not a duplex with an ADU?