Closed on a 200+ unit: ONE Simple Lesson

Closed on a 200+ unit: ONE Simple Lesson

Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Yesterday I closed on a 200+ unit in Richardson, Texas (submarket of Dallas). It puts my company over 1,200 units under management and I've documented the lessons I've learned from each deal on these threads. You can catch up here: 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/217842-closed-on-250-apartments-in-houston-texas-yesterday-2-lessons-learned

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/294621-closed-on-155-units-in-houston-yesterday-3-lessons-learne

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/316836-closed-on-320-unit-last-week-6-ways-to-break-into-the-biz

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/35...

As for this deal, the lesson learned is simple. But before I mention it let me tell you a story...

I recently had lunch with someone who asked me to meet with him. He is wanting to raise money for their fix and flips and were wondering how to go about raising money. He asked me a bunch of questions about where to find investors, what type of paperwork is needed, how to structure the investor conversations, etc. And I gave him answers to all the questions he asked. 

He told me at the beginning of our meeting that he also wanted to see what I needed. And, true to his word, at the end of the conversation he asked me, "what can I do to help you out?" 

I tend to get that question a fair amount of times so I have 3 things I tell most people. 

1. I told him that he could buy my book (all profits are donated to Junior Achievement),

2. Listen to my podcast and write a review in iTunes 

3. And/or be on the lookout for off-market deals that are 150+ units 

I appreciated him asking and was curious which one he'd pick and/or what he would say/do. 

He said he loves listening to books and he would get the audio version of my book after he finishes up with 2 or 3 other book he's listening to. 

I then had to leave so we parted ways. 

Question: How good did he do at adding value to my life?

Answer: To Be Determined. 

I sincerely applaud his effort and intention but there was no execution that I could see. 

Is there a different way to approach that really impresses the person who you're attempting to add value to? 

Yes. 

It's slightly different but has dramatically different results. 

Here's how: 

Even though he's in the middle of two to three audio books, instead of saying "I"ll get to it after I'm done with the other books." I would say "I'm going to buy your book and will have it purchased by the time you get your car in the parking lot!" BOOM. 

Or, even better, "Joe, hold on one second. I'm ordering your book right now that way I can write a review by the end of the month." 

Holy cow. What a difference that would make from a perception standpoint. Is he spending the same amount of money and time regardless of which approach he takes? 

Yep. 

Is there a big ole difference between the perceived value each of the approaches provides? 

Oh yeah.  

....and THAT leads me to the lesson I learned and was reinforced on this 217 unit deal. 

The lesson? 

When you have an opportunity to connect with someone it's important you IMMEADITEATLY add value to their life. It takes the SAME amount of time but generates DRAMATICALLY different results compared to if you wait. 

The 217 unit deal was a syndicated deal. However, it was only with 1 investor. I met that investor because he reached out to me after hearing me on someone else's podcast. I was able to get on that other person's podcast because when we met I immediately referred him to people who I thought could help him get more biz. 

It's simple. But lessons don't need to be complicated in order to be effective.  

Please note, I am NOT calling out the person I met with because I applaud him for asking what he can do to add value and saying he'll do it. I'm simply saying that there is ANOTHER LEVEL to go in order to be outstanding. And that level is to IMMEADITELY add the value in order to stand out. 

Tim Ferriss recently said on his podcast, "Be unique before trying to be incrementally better." And that's exactly the lesson here. People simply don't follow through with what they say most of the time therefore instead of saying you'll do something later - just do it then. You'll be unique and the results can lead to BIG things. 

21Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan Taylor SmithBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · Durham / Raleigh (Triangle), NC · Member since 2015 · 840 posts · 801 votes
9y

@Joe Fairless, your subject got me to click... But when I noticed the length of your post, I was going to just click follow and read it later; however your mention of having 1,200 units made me think that someone with that level of success taking time to write such a long post must have had something to say that's worth my reading now. Having done so, I'm glad I did, as I can think of lots of lost opportunities to stand out that I've missed by not thinking in terms of immediacy. I'll keep this in mind going forward... THANK YOU!

Blue Chariot Realty & Management4.915 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan Taylor SmithBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Durham / Raleigh (Triangle), NC · Member since 2015 · 840 posts · 801 votes
    9y

    @Joe Fairless, your subject got me to click... But when I noticed the length of your post, I was going to just click follow and read it later; however your mention of having 1,200 units made me think that someone with that level of success taking time to write such a long post must have had something to say that's worth my reading now. Having done so, I'm glad I did, as I can think of lots of lost opportunities to stand out that I've missed by not thinking in terms of immediacy. I'll keep this in mind going forward... THANK YOU!

    Blue Chariot Realty & Management4.915 Reviews
  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    @Joe Fairless thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write this post and to make sure we continue to understand the opportunity at hand when we ask someone the question of "what can I do to help you"? 1200 units is very impressive and being able to secure a 200 unit deal by partnering with one investor is even more impressive in my opinion. Best of Luck and continued success Sir.

  • Member since 2016 · 161 posts · 31 votes
    9y

    @Joe Fairless Wow great job on the huge deal. I'll have save some time to read all of your other deals to catch up.

    Doing things to other as you want them done to you, is a great model. Putting yourself in the other person's shoes is so simple but yet not alot of people get it.

    Great lesson!

  • Sunnyvale, CA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    I don't have any rentals yet and I was in awe when @Brandon Turner said he had 50+ units in one of his webinar. 1200 makes my head spin. I can't even manage how they are kept a tab on!! 

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Jonathan Taylor Smith so glad you got value from it and grateful for your note about the post. 

    @Courtney Merricks thank you for taking time to comment and give your thoughts on the post. Best of luck to you too!

    @Kaz M. hope you enjoy the other deal threads as well. And yes, putting yourself in other people's shoes is so simple yet surprisingly rare. Which creates opportunity for us if we take immediate action on their behalf. 

    @rohan 

    @Rohan Attravanam thanks for the note. I recommend you read my other threads on apartment syndcation (links in original post above) because you'll be able to see how I got here and the lessons learned alont the way. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 933 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Joe,

    Nice post and congrats on closing another deal.  It comes down to "how passionate one is" about doing what they say they will do and what length they will go to get what they want.  Now some of this is even habitual, so you making us aware of this experience is a wake up call for many who are going through the motions w/o intention.  

    I go to a lot of MF meetup groups as an example.  I see this a lot.  Folks take the time to go, learn something, meet folks but I would say when cards are exchanged, my experience is less than 50% of the time, maybe 20% of the time folks actually followup w/a coffee, call, email, etc and say hey, I'd be interested learning more about you and your goals. They may not be a customer, they may refer me to someone else, I may add value to them in some way.  A connection, if viewed w/intention and passion, can be an impressive thing...not everytime, but you got to keep swinging and take advantage of the time you are in front of someone to see first, what value I can provide and optimistically expect good things to happen by connecting.  The saying is "five years from now, its the people you meet and the books you read that will determine your progress" ...Charlie "Tremendous" Jones - motivational speaker.

  • Syndicator of Large Apartment Buildings · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Joe Fairless, awesome job buddy!!

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Joe Fairless, once again congratulations. Your success stories are coming fast and furious. I appreciate all your lessons learned.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Michael Le - thanks a lot. When I get to share the lessons learned it helps them get reinforced in my mind so it helps me too! 

    @Brian Adams - thank you! 

    @David Thompson - love that quote at the end. Very true. We tend to overestimate how much we can get done in a year but grossly underestimate what can be done in 5 years. 

  • Investor · Buda, TX · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Joe Fairless - Good point about doing something immediately.  What an impact it makes when we handle something right then.  Thanks for taking the time to write out these posts.

  • Mansfield, TX · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Joe,

     Thanks for your insights on adding value to others.  This is significant yet very simple.

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    Great thread I am working on my first deal!

  • HVAC Tech · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 223 votes
    9y
    @Joe Fairless great post, and great advice. Your probably at double this amount by now. After listening to you on @Michael Blank podcast, I've totally changed my thinking, and instead of buying a bunch of small multi family houses, I am now working on how I can get my 1st large apartment. I will also do what you have ask of your trainee u mentioned in this post, but if there's anything else I can do for you, just let me know. You can PM me. I'm an absolute go getter. Im kind of a newbie, but could offer a lot if given the chance. Hope to hear from you.
  • HVAC Tech · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 223 votes
    9y
    @Joe Fairless just bought book. And like your trainee, I also have a list of books in line to read, so I included the audio version as well. Super excited, thx.
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Read your Post bought the book immediately. I am just starting out but I am hungry my goal is 500 to 1500 units within 5 years. I am starting in houses first. But thank you for your post and information. Look forward to adding you as a mentor thanks.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @David Farrar. Starting with single families is just fine, but don't get stuck in that area. I started with Singles and duplexes and got stuck in that area for 8 years. I have over 50 of them now and flipped over 100, but within the past 6 months I have transitioned to multi-family and have since purchased 76 units. My advice is purchase your first 10+ unit within a year of your first single family rental.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Yes I am building up. The key is Capital. I am looking at multiple ways to develop the Capital. My eyes are open to the potential and the numbers. I have my WHY and will never give up and never stop will get deal after deal. Thank you for your advice.

  • Joshua DiazPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 165 votes
    9y

    @Joe Fairless 1200 units is absolutely amazing! It is also amazing that something so simple and practical can be one of the keys to success.  But as I read your post, it all made perfect sense.  So many people go through life complicating things that don't need to be complicated.  Though this thread was made a while ago, I still want to say thank you for sharing!

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Joshua Diaz so glad you found it helpful. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Joe Fairless Your posts are a treasure trove of information. You have added a lot of value through these posts, podcasts and your blog. Great stuff, sir. 

    @David Thompson Love your quote. Echoing Joe's comment, we overestimate our 1 year potential and underestimate our 5 year potential. Thanks for sharing. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.