Skip to content
Contractors

User Stats

Votes
Trace P.
  • Investor
  • OH
Votes |
How much to reinforce bowing/cracked brick walls?

Trace P.
  • Investor
  • OH
Posted Mar 27 2023, 06:00

Hi guys, I am in contract on a property, it is 80+ years old but pretty well maintained on the inside, plus a stable tenant who has been there for several years. The only major problem that the professional home inspector pointed out was that there are shifts in the basement and underground garage walls (structural / foundation issues), as shown in the pictures below. I have been calling foundation repair and construction companies to try to get a quote, but they have all requested for me to get a structural engineer in to make an assessment as a first step. This will cost a few hundred bucks, on top of the few hundred bucks I've paid for the home inspection, and I have not even closed on the house yet so I don't really wanna be sinking too much money in while managing my risks. I won't take anyone's word as an official quote here, but just wondering, have any of you had such foundation issues before, and how much did it cost to install rods / i-beams / etc.? 

Also, has anyone done grading before of the soil around the house? The ground is slightly sloping towards the house and I believe that's what's causing the foundation issues in the basement. Thank you so much!!!

Loading replies...