Finding the Right Contractor or Having skilled trades people for each specific job?

Finding the Right Contractor or Having skilled trades people for each specific job?

Antonio Ward JrPro Member
Member since 2025 · 17 posts · 13 votes

Hey BP fam! I am in the middle of completing my first BRRRR. I have been using a contractor and it has been decent for the most part. For my plan for this house I am adding an additional bedroom. There has been some difficulties with finishing the first two units of the duplex, and I believe my project was handed off to another contractor as I am being instructed to contact the new contractor for specific task when originally I was working with the main contractor that walked the property with me. At this point I am trying to gain insight on if I should look for another contractor to finish this job (the additional bedroom) or outsource specific task like for example electrical to skilled tradespeople and complete the task I am comfortable with doing myself. There are minor things in the first unit that needs to be done so I can get the unit listed for rent as we are nearing the season where moving is highly not preferred. Any insight or even connections?

0Reply
99 views

Most Popular Reply

Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
11mo

I’d recommend getting clarity in writing. Ask for a scope of work, a timeline, and a single point of contact. If they can’t provide that, it’s a sign they may not be organized enough to finish the project effectively. It’s not unusual for investors to run the second half of the project more hands-on, especially when the major structural or demo work is already done.

Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
    11mo

    I’d recommend getting clarity in writing. Ask for a scope of work, a timeline, and a single point of contact. If they can’t provide that, it’s a sign they may not be organized enough to finish the project effectively. It’s not unusual for investors to run the second half of the project more hands-on, especially when the major structural or demo work is already done.

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11mo

    Get clarity from the two contractors and vet the remaining people and work as you did at the inception.  You are right to lean in with this unexpected change.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2021 · 289 posts · 256 votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Antonio Ward Jr:

    Hey BP fam! I am in the middle of completing my first BRRRR. I have been using a contractor and it has been decent for the most part. For my plan for this house I am adding an additional bedroom. There has been some difficulties with finishing the first two units of the duplex, and I believe my project was handed off to another contractor as I am being instructed to contact the new contractor for specific task when originally I was working with the main contractor that walked the property with me. At this point I am trying to gain insight on if I should look for another contractor to finish this job (the additional bedroom) or outsource specific task like for example electrical to skilled tradespeople and complete the task I am comfortable with doing myself. There are minor things in the first unit that needs to be done so I can get the unit listed for rent as we are nearing the season where moving is highly not preferred. Any insight or even connections?

    I would never "get handed over to another contractor". You made a deal with contractor #1. I have an electrician, a plumbing company, a framer/window guy, a floor/trim guy and a drywall/painter guy. Those 5 can get any job done that I need. Build this team if you are going to continue to BRRRR. Once you have the right "guys", life is so much nicer. Best of luck.
  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    11mo

    Antonio, we are a licensed and insured general contractor in Detroit. We work with several investors who are successfully implementing the BRRRR strategy. What you're describing sounds both unusual and unprofessional. If you'd like us to walk your project and give you a sense of what's needed to finishing things out, just let us know.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    11mo

    First, what does your contract say about the situation? Once you hire a general contractor, it probably would not be legal for him to just hand a job off to another general contractor. And are you sure this other contractor is licensed?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.